Thread: '95 3.0L misses (hesitates) in overdrive

'95 3.0L misses (hesitates) in overdrive

Hi all,

I am working in CT and travel back and forth to VA. I don't have any of my manuals with me here in CT and was hoping you guys would be able to help me.

It seems to miss when I am in overdrive and doesn't do it when I have been accelerating or in any other gear. Do you think it could be the TPS or any other sensor? It doesn't shut down, but just misses and you get that little jerk when it happens. It doesn't do it all the time and it did it off and on the last 50 miles I was on the highway. When I got off the highway and stopped at the traffic light, there was no hesitation at idle and it did not hesitate while accelerating. It only occurred when cruising and feels like it is just missing on one cylinder, not a total loss of power.

3.0l engine, uses oil, but does not smoke (rear main seal is the culprit, I believe). Runs smooth otherwise, except at start up when it may be groggy, but like a lady after I give it some tender touches it warms up nicely.

JOE-<br />&#39;95 4Runner (as Bob would say T4R) completely stock, but it&#39;s now a work in process......4X4 auto<br /><br />&#39;04 Chevy Burban Z71 4X4 - kid haulin&#39; bus, but she&#39;s a sweet black b!tch.

Re: '95 3.0L misses (hesitates) in overdrive

with my 3.4 i had a similar problem. cruising at 55-60, it would stumble and bog down. no CEL. replaced fuel filter (no change, but didnt hurt!), plugs and wires (seem to do the trick).

i would replace the plugs and wires, and then go from there. plugs are cheap (~$2 from the dealer). dealer wanted 60 or more for the wires, i bought NGK's online for 40 or so shipped. at the very least, this is good preventative maintenance, and likely needs to be done anyway.

hopefully someone can chime in with some 3.0 specific ideas. good luck!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

What Sean said.

Also, the torque converter lockup on my 4Runner doesn't work 100%, and sometimes while on road trips, it like to repeatedly lock and unlock over the course of a mile or so. Usually this happens about once every 50 miles or so, then It's fine. Kinda temperamental, and I think it's just my torque converter lockup solenoid malfunctioning. The RPMs jump by about 400 every time it unlocks, and it has a bit of a jerky fill to it.

Anyways, I doubt this is what is going on with your tranny, but thought I'd mention it anyways. Sounds to me like you may just need a tune up.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

*Yep, check the easy stuff first like plugs and wires. A small spray bottle in a light spritz along the wires in a dark setting will reveal the point of short (small blue spark). Just, and this is as obvious as all heck, BE CAUTIOUS, don't get too close and get snagged or burnt by your engine. As for the solenoid idea, yes, often times it is the issue. Just grab the FSM (Factory Service Manual) and pull the solenoid check procedure to see if one or both of your solenoids might be going.

If you get fed up with the A340, there's info around on the swap and I did a write-up on how to keep and use the trans module to have your Cruise-Control remain operable.

Thanks guys. Don't have the FSM with me, but can look at here for the TCL solenoid check. I'll do the water spray test tonight and change plugs, rotor & dist. cap. Wires if I see a short.

JOE-<br />&#39;95 4Runner (as Bob would say T4R) completely stock, but it&#39;s now a work in process......4X4 auto<br /><br />&#39;04 Chevy Burban Z71 4X4 - kid haulin&#39; bus, but she&#39;s a sweet black b!tch.

I changed my cap and rotor. Boy, they were pretty bad. Doing just that made it more responsive and I think added a hundred horsepower. I didn't have a deepwell socket the correct size with me, so the plugs will have to wait 'til I get home in VA to do tomorrow. I think those will add another 200 horses and I plan on getting a big "NO FEAR" sticker for the top of my windshield that me thinks yields 1,000 horsepower!!!! It will be an awesome rig.

I know everyone will be waiting to see if this simple tune up solved my sporatic hesitation, so I will post after my long distance trip the results.

later gators.

Navigator

dont forget the type-R badge... thats a 20% increase from any base-line
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I have no idea how this thing was running. I changed the sparkplugs with my son and they were shit. There was all sorts of deposits on them and looked like they were useless. I have a picture of them and will post tonight. I will say that before I used to make my trip from CT to VA on 1 5/8 tanks of gas (27 gallons over 420 miles or 15.5-16 MPG). After changing the plugs, distributor, rotor, air & oil filter with new oil, this past trip last night, I did it on 1 1/3 tanks of gas or 21.7 gallons over 420 miles or 19.35 MPG!!! I think my hesitation was a combination of extremely worn out Dist./rotor and plugs. It hasn't come back yet and was sporatic anyway. If it does, then it must be some sensor. I can fix that by getting a good running 3.4l.