Thread: 2003 4Runner: How to repair Rubber Boot for Steering Linkage?

2003 4Runner: How to repair Rubber Boot for Steering Linkage?

Is there a way to repair a minor tear on a Rubber Boot?

This is on the steering linkage, just inside of the front wheels... boot aprox 2" long, 1" diameter.

I don't know the name or part number for it. There's some grease leaking out of it, so I presume there's a ball joint hidden inside.

Hate to turn a minor defect into a major job, which I presume would happen if I actually replaced the thing (requiring me to remove the wheel, linkage, etc)

Is there perhaps a "clamp-on" repair patch that I can overlay the boot with? (Like duct tape, but more permanent)

Re: 2003 4Runner: How to repair Rubber Boot for Steering Linkage?

Alex, I assume the boot you refer to is on the steering rack? There is some adhesive used to fuse boot halves but it's not the best of fixes and nowhere near what I would call permanent. You should be able to mark and then loosen the outer tie rod which should allow a new boot to be installed. The key is just to make sure you have alignment marks for the threads of the tie rod to ensure it is reinstalled in the exact same position. Not that hard a job though and that would be a permanent repair.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Re: 2003 4Runner: How to repair Rubber Boot for Steering Linkage?

wait is this the steering rack or the cv?? sounds like the cv if it's puking up grease.

the short answer is yes, but you should skip that solution.

most boot replacements take about as much time if not more time than just replacing the cv. If you live near an advance auto parts, i found they had the best price and warranty. Lifetime replacement so if it happens again, you're in the clear.

That's the 'right' way to do it. If, however, you just have a small tear and haven't lost all the grease, you can band-aid it with duct tape, but keep your eye on it.

Changing a cv is a nice first step toward a medium level job on your truck.

first step though is finding out if it's the steering rack boot or the cv boot.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i