Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some basic advice lift/general questions.

Re: Some basic advice lift/general questions.

22re and whats the difference betweem a e-locker and a auto-locker sorry about all the questions just want to build my truck right

an e-locker is a selectable locker, you can turn it on and off when ever you want. the one that would swap into your truck is from a 96-02 4runner or 95.5-04 tacoma. you must modify the housing (weld, drill, tap, grind) for it to fit in your vehicle, and there is a bit of wiring to be done (i happen to sell harnesses for that if you are interested )

an auto locker encompass many different brands and styles, and is a subsection of limited slip devices. they require no modification to the housing, though you most likely have to set up the gears again after the install. how they work: your differential allows differing speeds of each tire, but those speeds average to the pinion speed. when this average is disturbed by only one tire turning and the other not, it engages. there are a few different styles of mechanisms, but they all work the same.

on choosing: users report auto lockers to be difficult to handle in icy conditions, as the rear is always wanting to lock, usually sending it sliding past the front of the vehicle. price is a concern. you should expect to pay between 300 and 600 for a used elocker, plus wiring, installation materials, etc. an auto locker is between 200 and 400, again plus installation materials.

it is really up to you on your wants and needs. this only applies to the rear axle. the front is a little bit different: your choices are between an auto and a ARB air locker. i personally dont like ARB's because all i see is them leaking air and being unreliable at the time when you really need them. an auto in the front is ok if you have manual hubs (which i believe you do).

hope that helps a little bit. i really recommend you search on this subject. i know i have a post about my elocker swap, others have posts about their locker setups as well.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 719poot
    axleike what all did you cut out to not rub. what lockers are good i dont want weld it we get a lot of snow. power what have you guys done to get more
    I cut out the pinchweld, flexed the tire to see how far it would need to go back, pounded it back, and welded it back together.

I wanted to run factory alloys, so I also cut out most of my ball joint spacer and upper a-arm and re welded everything with 1/4 and 3/16" plate.

I have a build thread in the 79-95 trucks forum.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=6252.0

Skip to the end if you aren't interested in all the rest, thats where the fender and a arm mods are.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

As for power, don't waste your money on anything short of a turbo or supercharger, a cam/valve train swap with some head and piston work, or a bigger motor swap.

Any of the bolt on power mods are crap. I wasted a bunch of money on an intake, header, and exhaust, and got ZERO performance gains, and a much lighter wallet. I hated that, and wish I'd never done them.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    an e-locker is a selectable locker, you can turn it on and off when ever you want. the one that would swap into your truck is from a 96-02 4runner or 95.5-04 tacoma. you must modify the housing (weld, drill, tap, grind) for it to fit in your vehicle, and there is a bit of wiring to be done (i happen to sell harnesses for that if you are interested )

an auto locker encompass many different brands and styles, and is a subsection of limited slip devices. they require no modification to the housing, though you most likely have to set up the gears again after the install. how they work: your differential allows differing speeds of each tire, but those speeds average to the pinion speed. when this average is disturbed by only one tire turning and the other not, it engages. there are a few different styles of mechanisms, but they all work the same.

on choosing: users report auto lockers to be difficult to handle in icy conditions, as the rear is always wanting to lock, usually sending it sliding past the front of the vehicle. price is a concern. you should expect to pay between 300 and 600 for a used elocker, plus wiring, installation materials, etc. an auto locker is between 200 and 400, again plus installation materials.

it is really up to you on your wants and needs. this only applies to the rear axle. the front is a little bit different: your choices are between an auto and a ARB air locker. i personally dont like ARB's because all i see is them leaking air and being unreliable at the time when you really need them. an auto in the front is ok if you have manual hubs (which i believe you do).

hope that helps a little bit. i really recommend you search on this subject. i know i have a post about my elocker swap, others have posts about their locker setups as well.
    I have two ARBS, as do many, many others. THere have been just a few air issues, due to install problems, that I've seen. I have never had an air leak and have had zero problems in 30k miles. They are a spendy locker, but are a big upgrade in strength over the stock carrier, are exceptional both on and off road, and have excellent reliability.

The air leak concern is blown way out of proportion. IMO, the ONLY downside to the ARBs is the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    I have two ARBS, as do many, many others. THere have been just a few air issues, due to install problems, that I've seen. I have never had an air leak and have had zero problems in 30k miles. They are a spendy locker, but are a big upgrade in strength over the stock carrier, are exceptional both on and off road, and have excellent reliability.

The air leak concern is blown way out of proportion. IMO, the ONLY downside to the ARBs is the cost.
    I agree. My ARB has been going strong for the past 5 years or so.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

thanks guys got some great info now to jump into this money pit

Navigator

once your in it your hooked :-P i know i am
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12