Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roll Over on Heart Attack Hill in Anza Borrego

Re: Roll Over on Heart Attack Hill in Anza Borrego

i think this will be a question i ask people prior to spotting them now. " in anzo was it the spotters fault?" if the answers yes then im done spotting for that person lol. this issue has been beaten to death all over the internet but in my opinion theres a DRIVER and the DRIVER is in charge because they are DRIVING. the moment the spotter needs to replace the driver then the trail is not where the driver should be. the spotter sucked but the driver sucked much worse to continue cross hill after after the jeep gave her those tire lifts that showed her a clear view of the direction she should go.

example of how this should have gone:"hey spotter whats over on my right? the jeeps getting tippy and feels like its climbing. am i clear to turn down hill at this point cause when i walked it i remember this was the place i wanted to be pointed downhill?"

Navigator

honestly, yes the driver is in charge, but when its an inexperienced driver (like this most definitely was) that may or may not know what is safe and where the wheels need to be. this is where a good spotter comes in. he should have realized that she was going a bad direction and corrected her, because she probably didnt have the experience to know where she needed to be.

And dont say that if shes too inexperienced than she shouldnt be driving, because if she doesnt drive, how will she learn and become experienced? its not 100% either one of their faults, but they both had a hand in what happened.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

i hear ya but most people skip 40% of cleghorn while learning. certainly "heart attack hill" is not the place to figure out center of gravity and the driver is the only one that knows the drivers ability.

ok i watched that thing to death. the last direction the spotter gave was a very animated straight arm to the right. that was the last thing he did before backing out and getting out of the way. the driver looked like he'd steer to his left but i think he just faithfully turned right. i dont think the driver could see beyond his hood too.

90% spotter, 10% driver.

I think the driver would have done a better job not listening to the spotter. There were several times she was steering the proper line when the spotter guided her the wrong direction. This video is a classic example where hand signals FAILED again, but then again arm waving isn't a proper signal.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc P
    Sean, nice of you to have sympathy for the situation. I counted 3 chances to correct her before she actually rolled....I blame the spotter. His hand signals sucked!
    X2
    what's so hard about saying DRIVER or PASSENGER and yet no one else said a damn thing.... I blame that whole group that was watching

Here in the southeast, its pretty universal. We say driver and passenger. No left or right, no hand signals. Just yell it out. Just try to limit it to one spotter though...
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Here in the southeast, its pretty universal. We say driver and passenger. No left or right, no hand signals. Just yell it out. Just try to limit it to one spotter though...
    That's how I teach people, verbal commands, DRIVER, PASSENGER, hard to mess up that way. "Go left! I said left! no I mean my left not yours!!!!!"
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Navigator

iv never been taught to spot... the very few times ive done it i point...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I've gotten to used to spotting Troy. Him and I used to be great with the "DRIVER---- PASSENGER...!!!" but now we know each others hand movements, and we've gotten alot better at picking our line and being able to follow it without seeing it.
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast