Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 - 2002 Sport Editions

2001 - 2002 Sport Editions

My situation (brief) - Had a 98 Limited, it got totalled, bought a Jeep Grand (5.9L of fury), but now want another 3rd Gen, but with AWD and no leather seats.

I found a couple of 2002 SE's in my area. One is at a BMW dealership. It is a one-owner trade in. The lady had dogs, because the rear cargo area has dog hair all over. The tonneau cover is missing, as well. Around 84k miles. It's black (my color of choice), stock, and seems to be in really good shape all around. The asking price is $16,900.

The other is also a 2002 SE, but silver. It has 71k miles and they're asking $17,500. It is also a one-owner car, and the carfax shows no accidents.

Both rigs are 100% stock. The black one does have new BFG tires on it. When I was starting up the black one, a belt started squealing. It did it for a couple of seconds and went away. Is this something I should be worried about?

I haven't been to take a look at the silver one yet, but will this week.

What do you guys think of the prices? How much more should I be shooting for? The prices around here are kind of high. The trade-in for the black one was around $14k, I think. Maybe offer $15k OTD?
    Land Cruiser

Re: 2001 - 2002 Sport Editions

I paid $17,000 for my 2000 SR5 (5-speed, e-locker). It was in perfect condition with 55,000 on the clock. That was two years ago, but you are looking at a 2-year newer vehicle. Given that, the prices you quoted seem reasonable to me. You will find 4Runners priced lower, but when you find that one you want, it is often worth paying a little extra.

those prices aren't bad, but they're not smokin' deals either. are you willing to travel to get a better deal (saving $2k or more) for the cost of a plane ticket and gas?

i've found that SUV's in texas are considerably cheaper than in other parts of the country. also, they're very unlikely to have any rust or other rust-belt problems. however, they will typically have slightly higher miles since things in TX seem to be a little more spread out.

-andy

Thanks. I've been looking through the Texas zip codes on autotrader, and there are better deals out there, but after figuring in plane ticket/gas, it's not that much better. Search continues.
    Land Cruiser

I think those prices aren't too bad either, but I'd probably offer the $15k OTD and see how "for sale" they really are. It's really tough to get good deals at a dealership because their obviously in the business to make money off every transaction. You're right to be buying in the 5-6 yr old range because they are dropping in price pretty quickly as more new 4th gens come into the market. I usually try and buy from individuals and get them to negotiate a bit more with me and then I just set up financing at the bank myself.

...don't worry too much on the squeaky belt, not a big deal.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Well, neither of them would go anywhere below $17.5k OTD. I think that's too much for a 5 year old car with 70-80k miles. Man, these yota's hold their value...

I think you're right, MTL, I'm going to try to buy from a private seller. That's how I've bought all of my other cars, but the only ones available are at the dealerships. I think mainly, because the original owners are older ladies that don't want to deal with selling it themselves.
    Land Cruiser

pnut,

man, it all depends on your market. its really vain to try to compare your pricing w/ someone who lives in another area, though i understand the value of getting a ball park figure.

use nada, kbb, etc to get a range and then compare it to the range of private and dealer pricing. you should have a clearer idea of what you might want to pay after that. also, dont forget to factor in about $1k in maintenance during your first year.

...and i said maintenance, not mods!

Thanks, Bob. I am having a tough time justifying spending $17-18k on a vehicle that's 5 years old and with 80k miles. I have decided that I am going to get either a 4th Gen 4Runner, 05-07 Tacoma or the new FJC. They're all a few more grand, but I'd have that piece of mind of a lower mileage/newer vehicle, which = priceless.
    Land Cruiser

I agree that those prices are not too bad. Here in Socal the 4Runners and Tacos really hold their value well. I am helping a guy look for a 96-2000 with an e-locker and it is really hard to find one. I think anything 1996 to 2002 with less than 100K miles is okay. I just had mine smogged with 110K and the guy said it was super clean which I think is a decent measure of how it is holding up internally.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Thanks, Bob. I am having a tough time justifying spending $17-18k on a vehicle that's 5 years old and with 80k miles. I have decided that I am going to get either a 4th Gen 4Runner, 05-07 Tacoma or the new FJC. They're all a few more grand, but I'd have that piece of mind of a lower mileage/newer vehicle, which = priceless.
    17-18k is high for something with 80k miles

thats a 15-16k car at most.

hell their are some over here in the east that are running 12-13k, one being an 01 with 95k miles on it. and its 11,990

get what you want though, if you dont find one before I get out there, ill help you find a 4th gen.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast