Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVAP core removal and cleaning

EVAP core removal and cleaning

The A/C in my 2000 4Runner smells from time to time. I did some reading, and found that most people say it's from all the moisture not evaporating, which causes fungus and bacteria to grow in the evap core. One solution was to remove it, spray it with a pressure washer, soak it in bleach, and the wash it again.

Has anyone ever removed theirs to clean it due to odors? Was it simple to do? Once you got it back in were the odors gone?

-Cody-

Re: EVAP core removal and cleaning

I'd be interested to see what you find out. Mine doesn't stink but it does have a smell. I assumed it was normal though.

While looking and cleaning it all, some things to consider and inspect are whether the vent line is clogged or blocked and whether or not the desiccant is still any good.

http://www.uop.com/adsorbents/7140.html

don't bother removing the evaporator, it's too much work -- remove the glove box, switch to AC and RECIRC with blower motor on, spray Lysol or equivalent into the air intake behind the glove box and shut off the blower motor - it'll get sucked through the evaporator core and hopefully kill tha nasties, let it soak for a little while. I also remember reading about a more effective product that filled the evaporator case with a foamy solution that really soaked the skuzz out - it may have been a BG product, but I'm sure others make something similar
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I would not recommend breaking the seal on the A/C system unless you have to, that's just looking for trouble with refrigerant leaks.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Lysol worked on my jeep. The parts store I worked at had a kit from Four Seasons where you would drill a 1/16 inch hole in the plastic on the evap box then stick a small hose in there and spray a fog deodorizer. That got mixed results from customers though. Windex will do the trick as well and also removes odors from wet carpet and seat belts.

Isopropyl alcohol sprayed into the intake vent while the fan is on recirculate works well. You may need to do several applications if the smell is bad but the alcohol will kill both bactria and fungus growths (which are the cause of the smell). DO NOT remove the evaporator, it is a major PITA to do and then you'll need to worry about contamination in the A/C system too. Not worth the hassle.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Thanks for all the info. I might try the alcohol one day.

when i was at toyota certified, they used a product like partsman mentioned. for the life of me, i cant remember the name. in anycase, yes it was a procedure that involved drilling a hole into the box and spraying the chemical stuff in it to kill any mold/bacteria.

preventative measure: when you shut down your vehicle, make sure to switch the vent back to open (not recirc) so the vent stays open and allow it to air out

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    preventative measure: when you shut down your vehicle, make sure to switch the vent back to open (not recirc) so the vent stays open and allow it to air out

good call..

Edit Rocko: Fixed your quote Cody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast