Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the mighty Cleghorn has fallen?

Re: the mighty Cleghorn has fallen?

i talked to a ranger almost exactly 1 year ago (conversation was may 16th, 2009). we were at the trail head and he came by just to check things out. he told us to enjoy the trail while it lasted. the problem with the "cleghorn" we all know and love is the route that crisscrosses the actual trail (forest number escapes me) is designated as an ATV/motorcycle route/not a real NFS trail at all. over the years its been widened out, and trucks like us drive on it. there were never any signs designating one road from the other, so of course we picked the more challenging motorcycle route.

shame they had to do it, but i understand why. this was my first trail, my first offroading experience in my 4runner. it holds alot of memories, even my avatar picture is from cleghorn!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

its dead... this was posted on MJR today. what will really suck is if people cut new trails there or go around the blockades
    from Greg Hoffman, SBNF OHV Co-ordinator:

As you may know, some of the unauthorized routes (bypasses) on Cleghorn have been blocked and slashed with brush. Some of the bypasses that are not blocked will become legal, designated, numbered roads.

This effort is part of the SBNF travel management decision. All of the closures should reflect the final SBNF Motor Vehicle Use Map. The contract restoration crews and equipment are starting this project on the west side of the main divide (I-15) and working east. Finishing east of Big Bear.

The crews are in the Lake Arrowhead area this week. The Contractor is working quickly and efficiently.

If you have any concerns or comments about this project or need any specifics, please contact me.

Hopefully, you were able to attend any of our Travel Management Open House meetings and comment on these projects over the past five years.

Thank you very much,

Greg.
    [img width=800 height=538]http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/troyboy162/cleghorn.jpg[/img]

I wonder if those "unauthorized" bypasses that are going to become "legal" will even leave cleghorn worth the trip. I hope they leave the road open that goes to the big rock. That was a great place for poser shots.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Welcome to bureaucratic BS America, in the olden days no one woulda have done anything. You can thank most of all the people at the Sierra Club who no doubt pad the pockets of the people who make these kinds of decisions.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

it was interesting to see the bypasses to the bypasses being formed this year. it made me conscious of myself taking side wings around the hard spots and how those extra trails probably arnt a good thing for the life of a trail on public land.

cleg would have been closed regardless but when things are being assessed, im sure is dosnt look good to the forest service when they see places like the uphills on pilot rock where three separate routes are blazed up every face. (adopt-a-trail already fixed them). i also think ill keep a positive attitude to smaller trucks stacking the main lines rather then creating the need for more bypasses.

maps of all the changes to SBNF are here

https://www.fbo.gov/index?tab=docume...f5ea929b391ded

Navigator

not quite sure what im looking for on that site... heh
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12