Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus filling up my hard drive!

Virus filling up my hard drive!

Hey guys,

I need some help. Yesterday or the day before my computer became infected with a virus that is filling my hard drive. It had been pretty full, so when I got a warning message that I was almost out of space I figured it was from a bunch of family pics I uploaded from my camera. I moved a bunch of unimportant photos (1.5 Gb) to an external drive to make some space and though I was good. A couple hours later I was full again.

So I have updated and run AVG (free version), Ad-aware, and Superantispyware free addition. Spybot is running right now. Some interesting information, when I started Spybot, it asks if it can delete temporary files to make the scan faster. Well, it found 55,000 files! When those were deleted it opened up 15+ Gb of space.

Also, my outlook won't launch any more...

Give me some advice here guys, what else should I do?

Thanks,

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Re: Virus filling up my hard drive!

bit defender is what usually catches most of the stuff i have to deal with.

no experience with a virus like that, good luck mate!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks Sean,

I'll try downloading it tonight and see if it can find the virus.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I don't have any suggestions on what to do right now, but this will probably serve asa painful reminder to back-up info on a regular basis in case you need to wipe the drive clean
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Navigator

i used Microsoft Security Essentials on my windows computers... hasnt let me down yet (it looks for viruses and spyware)
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    I don't have any suggestions on what to do right now, but this will probably serve asa painful reminder to back-up info on a regular basis in case you need to wipe the drive clean
    Yeah, I've never had to do that before, so I'm completely unprepared.

I understand backing up files in case of a hard drive failure, but what do you do for programs?

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

download the free version. great program for an on-demand scan (not a scheduled nightly scan).

if you have the resources and know-how, the EASIEST way to clean out a virus is to take the hard drive out of said computer and install it in another computer and do a scan and clean that way. that way the virus isnt activly running, as some viruses guard themselves against antivirus software.

Is said computer a laptop or desktop?
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T Tacoma
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

download the free version. great program for an on-demand scan (not a scheduled nightly scan).

if you have the resources and know-how, the EASIEST way to clean out a virus is to take the hard drive out of said computer and install it in another computer and do a scan and clean that way. that way the virus isnt activly running, as some viruses guard themselves against antivirus software.

Is said computer a laptop or desktop?
    It's a desktop

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

If you have another computer of roughly the same age it should be fairly easy to remove your hard drive and install it in the other as a secondary to clean it up
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

We're a one computer household at the moment. My wife has been monitoring several scans today, so I'll see what we have when I get home. I've not run any scans in safe mode yet, so I will download the programs you all have shared so far and do them in safe mode if needed.

Thanks for all the help so far, and keep it coming.

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast