Thread: IT'S ALIVE,,,,,ALIVE!!!!!

IT'S ALIVE,,,,,ALIVE!!!!!

This morning I finished my 180,000 mi timing belt replacement. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The only pressure was that I had to get it done in a narrow window of time...so I didn't take time for pics or notes for a write-up. Thank goodness for pneumatic tools, nice weather, conservative talk radio (), and a dedicated shop full of every tool I needed.

While I was in there I replaced the water pump, the T-belt tensioner pulley, the T-belt idler pulley, O rings/gaskets, serpentine belt and of course, the coolant. I also used distilled water rather than tap water to avoid crusty sediment building (I mention that because some folks use tap water and it hastens the demise of their radiator and other components.)

Anyway, as with any service that involves critical functions of a motor, the moment of truth is particularly dreadful....the first startup. After all these years working on all manner of machinery, I still hestitate right before I turn the key for the first time. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I dread the idea of catastrophic failure or rather having to disclose to my wife I screwed the pooch and now it'll cost a grundle of cashola to fix it.

Glad it over for another 90,000 miles.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Navigator

Re: IT'S ALIVE,,,,,ALIVE!!!!!

hey fuster, im not sure where i read it, but i read that distilled is actually bad for your coolant system... i heard filtered soft water is the best, ill see if i can find where i read that.

edit:
    ok, i retract my previous statement because i have no idea where i read that... but i did read that soft water is just as good as distilled in the cooling system... just never ever ever use hard water
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Yup, soft water is good too. I haven't put my soft water unit in the house yet, soooo...walmart distilled water.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Dang. I have a drip. The Tundra was parked at the local Home Depot parking lot while I jabbered with a buddy I saw walking in the store. Leaning on a cart full of kitchen remodeling supplies I glanced over at my truck indicating with my head to punctuate telling him about my timing belt project last weekend....and what did I see dripping? Anti-freeze had made a cookie sized puddle under my truck in the 40 mins. it took me to by my stuff. I took a double take and he chuckled, "That doesn't look good...". BROTHER!!!

It was a slow drip so I drove it back home humiliated and grumbling. Parked the truck in my shop, crawled underneath and watched for a drip the did not drop. When turned the motor off and crawled under, I saw it. Looks like the oil cooler hose is a litte weak and hs a pin hole leak around the clamp. Easy to reach, easy to fix...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Navigator

well at least its an easy one... those are always the best
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock