Thread: rear bumper mod

rear bumper mod

a customer came into our shop today with a badass xterra . 3 inch lift , arb front and rear bumper with spare tire carrier . and other mods . my question is has anyone tryed modifing the factory rear bumper on a 4 runner to accept a swingaway tire carrier ? i know anything can be done with a welder and a torch but i would like to see someones ideas before i try to get one fabbed up
    92 toyota 4runner sr5 v6 , 74 plymouth duster project

Re: rear bumper mod

You mean the stock tinfoil? Doubt it would support it. I have seen people make a hitch recieved mounted tire carrier though..
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Considering the rear bumper is bolted onto the body and not the frame, I'd say "No"
    My signature

Need to build a rear bumper.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

i am just looking for ideas . i am not looking for an 1,000 dollar plus rear bumper . so i was just looking for some fab ideas . i want to keep the side chrome pieces but change the rear bumper if i have to
    92 toyota 4runner sr5 v6 , 74 plymouth duster project

could junkyard the factory swing out and fab up some inner reinforcement pieces to strengthen the sheet metal
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread