Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Louder horns?

Louder horns?

I really want to get louder horns for my 98. The stock ones are so high pitched and wimpy sounding, and there have been times where I really wondered if they were even be heard by other drivers.

I am really looking for something that is a fairly direct swap (read: no air horns!)

I remember searching yotatech for this and read that the supertones that PP sells arent really worth it. I also remember reading that getting 'OEM replacements' from an auto store like NAPA is a good option.

Any suggestions?

Re: Louder horns?

Alot of people, me included, went with the Fiamm freeway blasters. I think you can get them at Napa, Advanced Auto, most of the big name stores.

I had this same problem. I have one piece of advice for you though. Make damn sure that you are getting a FULL 12 volts across the wires at the horns!! I bought the Fiamm's and installed them (easy), then pushed the horn pad on the steering wheel and got nothing but "click, click, click" coming fromt them. I tried grinding the paint off behind the mounting bolts for a better ground and got them to "somewhat" work... but still very weak with alot of clicking going on.

I finally put a meter on the wires and found that it only had 9.5 - 10 volts! Not enough to power the new horns. So, I cleaned up the wires really well and put new leads on and reinstalled the original horns. Pushed the horn pad again and WOW they were loud as crap.
    Still high-pitched, but LOUD!

Don't know why there wasn't 12 volts at the wires?
    Anyway, just make sure you check the voltage BEFORE you go through the trouble of installing or even buying the horns.

James
    2000 4Runner Limited. Diff-Lock Mod. Deck-Plated. Commo Gear.  Ready for Lift/Tires!

FIAMM's here too.
    -andy

this guy put on a set of train horns...cheapest set i've seen and they sound insane http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62541
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

or you could always go the ferry horn route http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjR5K_Fb6r4
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

I know you said no air horns, but I have to post this. Check out www.hornblasters.com and watch a couple of their videos to see if you like

If you looking for a direct swap go to chevy or ford scrap yard and get 2 horns from there, i know the beretta horns are loud and same with the super duty's
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

im going to go pick up a set of the freeway blasters today. its raining and cant work on the truck so i mine as well get some shopping done. tomorrow will be a day full of mods!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yeah, I got rid of the Civic horns ASAP after I bought my late 4Runner. I didn't have to switch out the wiring and it sounded fine, but thicker wires couldn't hurt. Happy blaring.
    Land Cruiser

fiamms work just fine.my fuse kept blowing, so i upgraded my fuse up by 5 amps. i thikn thats now 15 or 20 amps. no more problems after the upgrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast