Thread: transmission change to automatic ???

transmission change to automatic ???

I have a 91 4Runner 4x4 3.0 5spd running 33's 456 gears and lockers. I want to swap out trans to a automatic. I found a 91 4runner today in the wrecking yard with a auto trans. Any major problems in doing a swap out like this do have to change the harness. Thanks for any input, Glenn (Good or Bad)

Re: transmission change to automatic ???

Well, that's not the direction most people want to go.
    My signature

Navigator

glen: where are you located? i would love to do a straight across swap with you
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Kevin, I am located in Rosamond Ca. Swap parts or car???

let me know how that goes . i have a 92 with a 5spd and is seriously considering doing the same come clutch time . i will have to replace the clutch in the next few weeks. i have a lifetime warranty on the clutch i really dont want to keep doing it every few years
    92 toyota 4runner sr5 v6 , 74 plymouth duster project

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by 54runner54
    Kevin, I am located in Rosamond Ca. Swap parts or car???
    swap trannies... :-P ... i have way too much work done to my 4runner to swap trucks...

do u ever make it out to the coast at all? i live on the central coast (between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo)
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by newyotaowner
    let me know how that goes . i have a 92 with a 5spd and is seriously considering doing the same come clutch time . i will have to replace the clutch in the next few weeks. i have a lifetime warranty on the clutch i really dont want to keep doing it every few years
    Most clutches last a LONG time if you know how to drive one properly.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by newyotaowner
    Most clutches last a LONG time if you know how to drive one properly.
    plus it's so much easier and cheaper to replace a clutch than it is to rebuild an auto trans
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

well either way i am looking at a rebuild . my trans has a very hard time going into gear now as it is . i just replaced my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder which help some but not completly . plus when i was bleeding my clutch the bracket holding the pedal cracked and i had to get that welded . i know how to drive a stick . i have had many different vehicles that were standards including a freightliner lol . also as much has i want to i will be teaching my daughter to drive in this thing and i really want it right or easier for her to learn . i want to get her going good so i can get her an extended cap 4x4 pickup (toyota) or a Z71
    92 toyota 4runner sr5 v6 , 74 plymouth duster project