Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about GPS? Some things to consider.

Re: Thinking about GPS? Some things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie 00

I have Topo map for my computer. I don't understand a bit of it. I am planning on getting a GPS before the next big trip, but again i don't have clue 1 on how to use it.
    Dang squids, can't read a map for !
    That's right we used Charts

put all this stuff underwater and we'll be good to go.
    Until then i guess you leathernecks will have to divulge some map reading info.

oh ya sorry big word above, di·vulge: to make known, to make public

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Charts are great but not helpful when you don't know that you turn away from the refueler after refueling!

Oh and thanks for the big word definition
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Charts are great but not helpful when you don't know that you turn away from the refueler after refueling!

Oh and thanks for the big word definition
    Wasn't that a special bring a Marine to sea day disaster?

Oh and i do mean Special. in the nicest way.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Our AAVs do look similar to the shortbus. I got a nice extended stay in Hawaii because of our shipwreck. Honestly, you don't even need to know port and starboard to know that you steer away from the only other big thing out there for miles around. Kind of like this guy who ran into me in Kuwait while I was parked. Hit the biggest damn thing out in the desert for miles .
    My signature

Ken, sorry for the recent hijack, although a good gps could have helped in each case.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    - Size matters
    Screen size is everything:
    Oh, and Ken is a size queen!

My signature

Awesome picture there, Chris. That truly is a Darwin moment.

I'm interested in the way you have your GPS setup now, Ken, since that polesmoker stole mine last month.

I really did like the Garmin 60CX but I could see how the screen size would come into play. What kind of stand are you using to hold your PDA in there?
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA &quot;TURTLE TACO&quot;[/glow]&nbsp; &lt;All the goods listed here&gt;

Now I'm hijacking my own post to comment on the photo Chris posted. The photo of the Corolla crashed into the tank is amazing. For the life of me I can't understand how that happened. That guy needs new prescription glasses.

Ryan--I am using an Akron vent mount. It retails for about $10 but you get it for free when you order a bluetooth GPS receiver from buygpsnow.com. I had to modify it a bit for desert use and will likely be switching to something more secure.

One thing I forgot to mention in my review is the ability to pair a recreational-grade GPS receiver with a laptop. That way you have a rugged GPS unit for backpacking, then it gets used only to pass GPS positional information to your laptop where you can view the map of your choice on the laptop screen. I wish the recreational-grade GPS manufacturers would make the screens a little larger and quit the proprietary stuff so you could use your map of choice.

By the way, I used my PDA to check Yotatech from our campground in Death Valley. This is where I learned that Ryan's truck had been broken-into and could not make the trip. WiFi is great!

This is a great thread, I really want to learn how to use this stuff. I will likely be following your lead in the future. Thanks for the write-up!

I was wondering about the battery life of your PDA...everytime that I use bluetooth (Treo 650), it drains my battery BIG TIME. How do you address this issue when you are in the field for a couple of days?

Thanks for the great information!

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast