Thread: 3.0 Jerk Problem

3.0 Jerk Problem

I have a 91 4Runner 3.0 5spd 4x4 the problem is the longer I drive on the highway it has a jerk or a hard miss its like you turn the key off for a second. No check engine light and no codes. I have changed the plugs,cap,rotor,wires,fuel filter and fuel pump relay also added grounds no help. I just did head gaskets,valve job,valve adjustment and timing belt and pulleys it runs great but the "3.0 JERK" not the one behind the wheel. Maybe is it the ECU. Thanks for any help or input, Glenn

Re: 3.0 Jerk Problem

I have had this problem for along time now its gotten very bad. I have changed alot of parts from the ECU, distributor, TPS, coil, speedo, all ignition parts and tire size. No miss at idle runs great but the momentary miss/jerk when driving at any speed. I know theirs a fix. SO????? Glenn

auto transmission maybe? but it's a 5spd and pretty fool proof.

im pretty stumped. hopefully someone with more experience with the 3.0 will chime in. shame no one could answer it 2 years ago.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Glenn, I know you said you added some grounds, but have you checked your existing positive and ground wires? Years ago, my 2nd gen would cut out on right turns. My battery wasn't strapped down, and it would slide over and the positive wire would ground out on the power steering pulley. Entire truck would shut down....lights, radio, engine...everything. It was odd, but turned out to be an easy fix.

I would check your wiring harness. You might have a wire grounding out on something when you hit a bump in the road.

I don't know anything about rear ends or t-cases, but does anybody know if a broke tooth in either one would cause a jerk?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

good advise dan! it definitely sounds wiring related. strange the knock sensor isnt detecting a misfire and giving a code though. or does the 3.0 not have a knock sensor since it has manual timing?

i think missing a tooth in the t-case, trans, or diff would be pretty obvious, and would make a horrific sound all of the time, not just occasionally.

is it equipped with AC? maybe the clutch is engaging/disengaging and causing the RPM's to dip. My Honda chuggs sometimes as the dieing AC clutch tries in vain to engage.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yup, the 3.0 does have a knock sensor. It's a pain to get to and is under the intake manifold.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD