Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do your jugs jiggle?

Do your jugs jiggle?

I mean, when you're bombing down a fire road, the dunes or even crawling in the rocks? Does it annoy you or distract you. I'm most concerned about jigglage on long trips and since my jugs are pretty big I don't want any problems to arise while in the back country.

My "juggs" are scepter MWC's and will hold 20L of water. 20L of water is about 44 pounds and some guys, like me, have 2 juggs. I don't always carry them both nor are they always full. Sometimes you can get water somewhere along your trip sometimes you can't. Regardless if they are full they are heavy, they take up weight and I'd like to find a place to put them. In the past with a car seat in the back I put one can standing up on the floor in front of the seat. It's a perfect little spot and since my daughter's legs are about the length of Subway sandwiches, the jug is not in the way. Because we tend to travel heavy I built a roof rack and have been playing with ideas of putting them up there, the juggs not my daughter or my Subway. I know it's 90 pounds up high and center of gravity blah blah but if my car is so full of babies and people that I can't lay the seats down and find a place for the water I'm not out pulling sketchy moves on trails that I'll roll. Let's use the example of freeway driving and fire road driving to remote spots in CA, NV and OR.

Anyways show me your juggs (I think I've said that before on UY). How to you transport them? Do they stay put? Do they jiggle (). I know Lance has a carrier for his MFC's and I think it's custom. I like the Scepter's because they are beyond heavy duty. All my other cans would wear thin and/or spring a leak. I think I'd have to replace one every year or 2. I'm thinking about making something but don't know if I should leave room for foam or some other cushion to keep them quiet as I don't know if they'll jiggle and make noise. There are a few companies that make holders but they are pretty expensive so I was hoping to make something.

Re: Do your jugs jiggle?

There are LOTS of Jerry can style holders for rear bumpers or interior cargo areas. Are you opposed to adding a rear bumper style carrier? I am not sure of your exact needs because this type of long distance "expedition" wheeling is a foreign concept here in the southeast. We can wheel ALL weekend at a park and not hit the same trails, and only cover MAYBE 3 or 4 miles all weekend. Because of this style of centrally located camp with trails branching out from there, we return to camp every evening, and sometimes several times a day, so I rarely, if ever, have the need to carry oboard food and water (more than can be bottled and fit into a cooler anyway).
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

We can the same wheeling on the west coast but it's more rock crawling and most of the time it's near people. I like to travel off the beaten path and set up different camps as the trip progresses. Even if we had a centralized location you'd still have to get stuff there.

A bumper would be nice but I'm not ready for anything like that. The 4runner is my daily driver and still looks stock and clean. I like the fact it does and I can still take pretty far into some places. We've been places and people are surprised to see us in full bodied rigs that aren't sky high, missing sheet metal and beat up. If it ever got that bad my wife probably wouldn't want to drive it or have me park it in the driveway. Maybe one day a nice bumper with swingout will make it on there. I'd love to design one. It would have water holders, hi lift mount, spare tire, fold out shelf, etc. As a result it would be big and heavy and be in the way 98% of the time.

Mike,

I wonder if you could purchase/fabricate a mount similar to this one and use something in the interior, say the tie down bolts in the floor to secure it over on or next to a wheel well, and keep your water located there. Again, I dont know your exact interior cargo room needs, so this may not be a workable idea either. I just see in my head this mount tied into the 1st gen roll bar mod in the back, looks good to me.

-Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I'm thinking something similar to that. My jugs are plastic so they will be quieter than metal cans. My interior room is pretty much spoekn for except that spot in front of the car seat.

[img width=800 height=531]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/House/DSC_0001.jpg[/img]

This picture is typical. If the baby is with us the back seats have to stay up. I'd love it if the rear seat was a 60/40 split as it would actually be useful. On longer trips someone has to spend some time entertaining the little one so the back seat has to be free except for some pillows, blanket or the like. It's a little hard to see but the roof is also full in the pic, tent, canopy, camp chairs.

Baja Rack makes a 2 can carrier and I'm thinking about something similar.

Here is what I've got.

I started work tonight and have a bunch of metal cut out. Now all I have to do it stick it together which is quieter than cutting. Since the baby is down and the wife is out with the girls I'll get to stay up late.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 11-20-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Quite productive tonight. I had everything all measured out and planned so it went together quickly. The fact that everything cooperated was nice. Garage is a mess but I have what I hope will work (version 1).

It still needs a little work but it's the basic idea. The last picture is not how I'm going to mount it (vertical) but I can if I want to. It'll also make it easy to mount onto a bumper or something else one day if I choose. The left enough room within the frame to allow for adhesive weather stripping or something like it to cushion the jugs. They're plastic and I don't want them getting all banged up right away. There is also enough room to store them valve up or down. I'm thinking that with my spout I can use gravity to dispense water and for maybe a shower. I need to weld in a small wall between the 2 so I can run just one jug if I need to (say you're going out on a trail run or to town for a fill up and only need to take one). Secpter also makes the fuel jugs but they are really expensive and hard to come by in CA. If I ever get one I think it'll fit in here because I believe they are the same size. I'd much prefer to have gas on the roof than inside the vehicle. I have a metal jerry can I use for my lawn mower and not until now did I even think of doing a test fit. That's probably for the better because I probably would have welded near it.

A little more welding, some grinding, weather stripping and some type of latch and I should be good to go, other than drilling mounting holes.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 11-20-2015 at 02:46 PM.

wow that looks great! can I have one too? I have my 3 fuel jugs on the rear bumper so that's not applicable for you. They're outside so I don't hear them rattling. I have other noises coming from the truck so the jugs "jiggling" around is the least of my concerns.

I have those same water jugs that I picked up recently!!! (six to boot... ouch). Anyway on my last trip w/ Chris (slosurfer) I had used 2 of them and just strapped them down on the rear passenger seat. They definitely moved quite a bit but that was because all I used was the stupid seat belt as a method of securing the jugs. Probably not the best method but I currently don't have a carrier that I can bolt inside the truck so it's a working progress. I like what you have and may have to steal your idea(s) or just drive up and jack it from you

I don't have the same problem you have w/ limited cabin space so I can easily mount that inside the cabin by bolting it down on the tub but when a child and lots of gear I can definitely understand the limited space you're experiencing. Have you thought about making a carrier that will lay the jugs flat on the sides instead? That way it's not as tall?
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

My plan is to lay them down horizontally. With 2 it doesn't matter which side you lay them on as the height is pretty much the same all around. The last picture is just to show that I could mount it with the cans standing up. With it horizontal on my rack it shouldn't stand too high and still leave room up there for the other stuff.

Lance, are the MFC and MWC cantainers the same size. I know the capacity is the same but I'm wondering about the rough outer dimensions.

You could lay them flat side by side though.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast