Thread: HEEEEELLLLPPPPP !!!!!!!! > I CANT STOP !!!!!!!!

HEEEEELLLLPPPPP !!!!!!!! > I CANT STOP !!!!!!!!

Ok coming home from the movies the other night . ( a-team was funny as hell btw ) . I tried stopping for a red light and my brake pedal went to the floor . pumped it to no avail . i only had about 1/8 inch of pedal until floor . checked master cylinder and it is full . i woke up this morning and went to test my truck to see if i was going to have to tow it to pep boys where i work . well my pedal felt normal . i causiously drove it to work giving my self plenty of room and power braking with my 5 speed . upon inspection the rear axle seal had leaked until it ate the rear shoes to nothing . $311 later i have a new seal . complete new rear brakes and a very solid pedal . well after getting it home i decided to change the front pads since they were low and it would be pointless to have a solid rear end and low front brakes . well after doing that the demon showed up again . very low pedal and almost no brakes . upon pulling into my yard i tried to stop . then heard a thunk . now NO BRAKES !!!!! i almost ran into our patio which would have been very bad and severly damage my truck . ANY IDEAS ???
    92 toyota 4runner sr5 v6 , 74 plymouth duster project

Re: HEEEEELLLLPPPPP !!!!!!!! > I CANT STOP !!!!!!!!

My money is on the master cylinder needs to be replaced. The seals are probably shot.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I agree that the master is on its last leg. Even with large amounts of air in the system you would still have some brake pedal travel remaining.

ok changed master cylinder and now brakes are great again . wired part is now that my pedal is like it used to be but slightly higher verses when it first got fixed it was higher . only problem now is the rear proportioning valve has a slight leak ? do i need that part or can i run "old school "brakes and just have the hose go straight to a junction block to the rear brakes
    92 toyota 4runner sr5 v6 , 74 plymouth duster project

you need something to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes or they might lock up before the fronts do. The factory uses a height sensing proportioning valve, if you want to get rid of it you'll need a manual proportioning valve. You'll also need to block off the line from the front hydraulic circuit to the proportioning valve
    Here's how I did mine
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread