Thread: Buying an 84 4runner. Any advice

Buying an 84 4runner. Any advice

I am going sunday to buy an 84 sr5 4runner that is in great shape. I am going to go with the classic front and rear 5" lift from trail gear and the 4.7 kit. Does anyone have any advice to give about what I should or shouldnt do or what kind of experiences you have had with yours in the past,any weak links? I want to build this thing right the first time. I want it to be trail ready but at the same time drive on the road as well. Thanks for all your advice and I am new here by the way , my name is miles. Thanks
    Miles a.k.a.(short rod)<br />97 4runner limited<br />84 4runner SR5<br />Location: Athens ,Ga

Re: Buying an 84 4runner. Any advice

congrats on the new runner project! I've just started my 85 runner build. You can see pics and track progress here http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...26&topic=777.0

I'm sure we would all like to review your progress with some before, during and after pics.

If you have any specific questions about your project, post them up. If I don't immediately know the answer, I know where to find it
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Yes I will for sure get some good before and after pics and some of the progress. I am going to pick my new yota up on sunday here she is http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...es/db2dre2.jpg
    Miles a.k.a.(short rod)<br />97 4runner limited<br />84 4runner SR5<br />Location: Athens ,Ga

Wow. that is clean. Mine has the same wheels. You won't sleep on Sat. night
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Looks good Miles, nice and clean. It sounds like you know what your doing so I don't know what advice you'll need. The kits pretty much come with everything.

What size tires will you run and are you going with longfields?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thats what I was wondering. What size tire can I run with the trail gear 5" classic? What wheel do I need to buy? What kind of backspacing? -3? I was told that a 35" tire would be pushing it.

With 5" lift, you should clear 34-35s, depending on how much articulation that you have and wheel offset / centering on the wheel well. Guys who sell you the lift should give you the downlow.

33s are going to be the limit of what that motor can push on stock gears.. Expect to spend some bucks on regear, a locker (if you really want a trail truck), braded extended lines, crossover steering, new front and rear driveshafts, etc.
    http://22returbo.net/<br />22re turbo, garrett t3, megasquirt EFI

The TG kit includes the plates and slugs for the frame where the box mounts. While you are at it you might as well also gusset where the driverside frame and front crossmember meet.

I'd also reinforce the face of the front crossmember with an add on plate, it's only like .095" thick to start with. While this won't really affect the new add on spring hanger it helps strengthen the mounting points for a bumper.

If you tend to "wheel by touch" I say use a big cast iron pipe cap cut in half as a diff guard. The curved plate that is often used on Toy front axles is ok, but they bend pretty easy.

Geoff
    84 Xcab: 38&quot;TSL/D44/4.56/ARB/350/4L60E/2.28/2.28/ARB/4.56/D60 (gone, sigh)<br />01 WJ 32s solids F&amp;R