Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roll bar from 86 2 door into a 92 4 door

roll bar from 86 2 door into a 92 4 door

has anyone tried putting a factory rear roll bar from an 80's 4 runner with the removable roof into a 2nd gen 4 runner 4 door . i can get one cheap and am thinking about getting it put in . i dont want to have to modify anything except where the bolt holes have to be drilled . any fuel lines or anything like that in the way ?
    92 toyota 4runner sr5 v6 , 74 plymouth duster project

Re: roll bar from 86 2 door into a 92 4 door

I know it's been done before, just not sure if anyone here has done it. I think there might be a small amount that needs to be cut off one pair of legs . . . not sure on that though.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Yeah MarcP has one in his I believe. You have to cut the a pair of legs down and have the bottom welded back on.
    My signature

no marcp does not have it done. but lots of people have put them in 2nd and 3rd gens. and yes you have to gut the legs and re weld the foot plates on them. Sonoran Steel sales them modified to fit 3rd gens. google them and send steve an email asking about it would be the best thing to do
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

Maybe this thread is why you might have thought Marc installed one.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f88/installi...nd-gen-107611/

Reading through the thread, Chris did you ever install it on your second gen?

Ah, yeah, I wasn't sure if he ever did it or not.

I got the legs cut on mine and then I found out that the bar I got was racked to one side, so it needs to be squared up to fit. I probably am not going to put it in.
    My signature

I've got two of them, both straight, if anyone wants them cheap, by the way. lol.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

ok 2 basicily last questions on the roll bar . the one i am looking at is angled to the rear i believe . Are they all angled like that ? final question is has anyone installed the bar without the carpet and knows the measurements that way . i am thinking about welding the bar to the floor and trimming the carpet to fit over and around the bar .
    92 toyota 4runner sr5 v6 , 74 plymouth duster project

yeah i did it to mine. its a lot more work then you think. i believe i cut somewhere around 2.5 in off the legs. theres a thread on yotatech. front and rear dimensions are different though. looks good and you can make a spare tire plate and throw it in the back.
    95 4runner SR5

Just keep in mind that those "roll bar" only attached to the the body and doesn't go down to the frame which is what you really want in a roll cage.
    I take ant-acid to offset green house gas from my 4unner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast