Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mounting items in cargo area

mounting items in cargo area

Nothing special, but I put in mounting brackets for a Maglite today.

I was curious about maybe finding a shovel with a telescopic handle that I could mount back there for winter/trail use. Anyone on here have something like this?

For starters I haven't seen a shovel with a telescopic handle, but I'm sure they can be found. Are there any good places for mounting brackets? Maybe a universal bracket? I'd like to mount it on the left side just below the cargo glass (above the Maglite).

Post up any pics of your setup if you've got 'em.

Re: mounting items in cargo area

During the winter I add my snow shovel to the cargo area just so it's always there. It's only for snow and the back country but it'll move some snow if you get your vehicle stuck. No need to mount it anywhere as I always end up needing to move something once I mount it.
    I have this SHOVEL.

For everyday carry I have one of THESE.
    It's a very nice shovel and works very well for it's size. For the most part I don't need anything bigger. On my other vehicle I carried a full size shovel and hi lift every single day and every single trip and never had to use them. The NATO shovel is small enough to throw in a pack if you need to hike out.

As long as I'm on the subject of other stuff I carry...I also like my SVEN SAW. It's not very big but has cut some serious wood in the 8 years I've had it. Again it's in there all the time, not mounted (lies under my cargo mat), and can be thrown in a pack. In fact it comes with me on all my backpacking and Christmas tree cutting trips.

I also have a Maglight, Surefire, tools, tarp, fire extinquisher, tow strap, shackles but they all have their little spaces else where. I did cut out the interior of my rear cargo storage space to fit a bunch of stuff in there. Have a clean, non cluttered cargo area makes it easy to toss stuff in there or pack for a trip.

I bought one of the shovel kits from GLOCK. It has a spade shovel and saw in the handle. Works great. I bought some of the rubber coated spring clips at Harbor Freight and screwed one side onto the cargo area trim. They hold the shovel perfectly and are really tight so I have no worry of it coming loose.

We got 15 inches of snow here today, and it made me think of shovels again(since I still haven't got one since I started this thread). Then I noticed the Sven Saw people are from Duluth.. thought that was cool.

On a side note the 4Runner didn't have a problem romping through the 15inches of snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    During the winter I add my snow shovel to the cargo area just so it's always there. It's only for snow and the back country but it'll move some snow if you get your vehicle stuck. No need to mount it anywhere as I always end up needing to move something once I mount it.
    I have this SHOVEL.

For everyday carry I have one of THESE.
    It's a very nice shovel and works very well for it's size. For the most part I don't need anything bigger. On my other vehicle I carried a full size shovel and hi lift every single day and every single trip and never had to use them. The NATO shovel is small enough to throw in a pack if you need to hike out.

As long as I'm on the subject of other stuff I carry...I also like my SVEN SAW. It's not very big but has cut some serious wood in the 8 years I've had it. Again it's in there all the time, not mounted (lies under my cargo mat), and can be thrown in a pack. In fact it comes with me on all my backpacking and Christmas tree cutting trips.

I also have a Maglight, Surefire, tools, tarp, fire extinquisher, tow strap, shackles but they all have their little spaces else where. I did cut out the interior of my rear cargo storage space to fit a bunch of stuff in there. Have a clean, non cluttered cargo area makes it easy to toss stuff in there or pack for a trip.

if you want to start securing everything in the back, I recommend using Quick Fists
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

It looks like I'm going to end up with a free Sven Saw for the Runner!

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    if you want to start securing everything in the back, I recommend using Quick Fists
    Cools, I was looking for something like that. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx
    Cools, I was looking for something like that. Thanks for the link.
    I'd suggest patronizing Sierra Expeditions for the quickfists, they're good people (also have some other neat products on their site)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

How are you getting a free saw? Is it because you're local?

I'd suggest patronizing Sierra Expeditions for the quickfists, they're good people (also have some other neat products on their site)
    I'll definitely send my business their way when I get ready to buy some.

How are you getting a free saw? Is it because you're local?
    Not exactly. I emailed them about possibly giving their website an overhaul in exchange for one of the saws & just to get a little extra job experience. He seemed like a super nice guy.. eager to help me out & send me a saw even if they didn't use the layout.

I was emailed this deal today and thought of this thread.
    http://www.buy.com/prod/SOG-Gear-Set...219179074.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast