Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Tacoma - Swapping to Locking Diff - Experts please help

2010 Tacoma - Swapping to Locking Diff - Experts please help

Hi Guys,
    I would appreciate any advice or help you can offer.

I just bought a 2010 Tacoma TRD. And I am really disappointed, because even though the sales person told me it had the rear locker, it didn't!
    Now I am screwed with a street version of the tacoma when I wanted the off road (I ordered it and didn't pick it off the lot. Long story I won't bore you with)

Anyways I want to be able to swap the 3rd member from the 2010 Double cab, manual trans, to the one that comes with the locker.

I called different dealers and got different answers, so I thought I would ask the real pros :-)

One Toy parts counter told me the 3rd member on the 2 diffs were interchangeable, and I could have them swap in the locker with out any problems or mods. (It might need to run a wire to the dash and add a switch)

Does anyone know if this will work? Can it be done without major mods?

Thanks again for any help.
    I am so pissed and disappointed.
    Scott

Re: 2010 Tacoma - Swapping to Locking Diff - Experts please help

I'm not sure why this was moved to this board, I originally posted it in 05+ Tacomas, 03+ 4Runners / GX470's and 07+ FJ Cruisers

The vehicle in question is a 2010, why did the mods move it to 95.5-04 Tacomas and 96-02 4Runners?

I believe the two diffs are still not interchangeable. There isn't much Diff info with the newer gen trucks either..

I think you'd be best waiting to try and find a whole donor axle from a bone yard. Start calling all the junk yards in your area.. At the same time, grab the wiring harness and all associated parts.

Or.. You could just throw in an ARB. Which would be a stronger option.

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Hey Scuba,
    Thanks for your reply

Its a brand new truck, I am trying to get the dealer to fix the issue with new factory parts. Their people assured me it came with a locker, and I want a Locker at their cost.
    I am no mechanic, but I heard that all that had to be done was swap the 3rd member not the whole differential.

Forget thier cost. Get the locker for free. You ordered this truck, correct? There is no way I would have taken delivery first off. But now that you have it.... I would keep harassing the dealer you bought it from and tell them that you were assured you were getting a locker, and you understand that things happen, but now they are expecting you to make payments on a truck that is NOT what you signed up for.

-Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

and just by the way.... When people say "3rd member" they usually are referring to the whole differential. Some people call it a diff, some a 3rd, some a chunk. Usually all of these terms refer to the axle gearset (consisting of a ring and pinion, and spider gears), and all associated bearings and seals, inside of a housing (this would be the diff housing) that will bolt into the axle.

Here is a picture of what I (and I think most others here) call a diff, or a 3rd. (you rarely hear chunk around here - no offense - but you hear it alot more with rednecks)

and here it is complete - in the axle.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Correct me if I&#39;m worng but don&#39;t the new Tacomas have a larger rear axle with larger diameter gears? Where as the locker equipped models have the 8" rear with locking third? If this is the case you ain&#39;t swapping anything into the housing you have. In that case you&#39;re looking at something like an ARB. Plus, depending on what wiring you have already, there is more than running a wire and switch to the cab.

Here is my swap.
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=8443.0

Thanks for all the replies

04 Rocko Taco
    I ordered the truck, when it came in, I didn't notice the locker switch wasn't there, and never occurred to me it wouldn't be.
    I only noticed it a few days later when going through my manual and familiarizing with the functions. I brought it to their attention a few days after taking delivery, the manager said "I will make this right" and the sales personal phoned and said don't worry we will get it straight.
    I have been emailing with them for the last couple of months and they make promises and do nothing.
    My next step with them will be to contact Toyota directly, file a small claims suit and post a blog on this BS. I am a search engine optimizer and know I can have my blog show up when people search anything related to them.
    I won't be taking this lightly.

When I talked about the third member I was referring to the guts inside the differential housing, not the whole differential.

4x4mike
    I am not a mechanic and am not sure of sizes. One thing I do know is that my truck is the double cab and has 17" wheels instead of the 16" that come on the access cab version if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all your advice
    Scott

I see how you can overlook something like that, I also would just assume it is there.

Unfortunately, I think Mike is right in this case, and the "guts" and/or differential is a different size between the two trucks. Which means no swap, other than an entire rear axle, and a wiring harness for the locker, which is, also as mike said, MUCH more complicated than running a wire and a switch.
    I do know a guy (he's in europe currently or I would have him chime in) who makes e-locker wiring harnesses. Let me know if you think he can help in anyway, although I know you are trying to get the dealership to handle this. I would give the dealer one last chance and let them know that you have everything documented (which I HOPE you do) and you are going to contact Toyota corporate about this issue, and file a complaint with the BBB on this dealership, and all of that junk. If you can't get a satisfactory result then, I would go for Toyota.
    -Chris

04 Rocko Taco
    Missing it really P1$$e$ me off, I was so looking forward to having that extra when I needed it.
    Good point about the BBB, I will make a complaint to them as well.
    I did exactly as you had said, was nice said I realize mistakes happen, but the difference between a reputable Toyota dealer and a used car shyster is whether they stand behind their word.
    I am tired of being polite and nice, now is time to get nasty.

As far as the wiring harness from Europe, I doubt I would be going that route.
    Thanks again
    Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast