Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decent BFG AT replacement?

Decent BFG AT replacement?

I'm about due for new tires, 265/75/16. I have one BFG ATKO that is nearly new and 3 that are pretty old and getting dry cracks etc. The newish tire used to be a spare but had to be put into permanent rotation when one of my other tires bit the dust. BFG tires are really expensive, I'm looking at over 1K to get 4 new BFG tires from Discount Tire. Does anyone have an alternate tire recommendation in this size? I don't do hardcore offroad/crawling but do use 4WD and traverse some sharp rocky roads from time to time. I guess I'd like to hear tire recs from people who have had good luck with other (hopefully cheaper) tires. I recall hearing good things about the older gen Nitto Terra Grapplers, but that may have changed.

Thanks

Re: Decent BFG AT replacement?

bfg is the cheapest one around right now that i know unless you are ok with retreads. in that case id get the treadwright with the bfg atko tread

The best replacement for a BFG A/T...

...is a BFG A/T. Just buy them.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I liked pirelli scorpions when I had them years ago.

Really tires are tires. PT Vs PT are pretty much the same, AT vs AT are pretty much the same, MT Vs MT are pretty much the same, Swamper Vs swamper are pretty much the same. Unless you step up a class, off road traction doesn't change a whole lot.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox

Ditto, my Scorpions were nice for mostly street but got torn all over the minute I hit any granite lain dirt.

BFG TA/KO's are now IIRC going on their second season and are still in reasonable shape, although half worn down.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox

Yep, the price might be hard to swallow but if you're happy with them and they do what you want, spend the money once and don't worry about having regrets. FWIW, when I had BFG A/Ts they lasted FOREVER.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Firestone destination AT.

I had BFT AT, they were unimpressive even compared to some cheap tires I had from pepeboys!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Thanks for the replies. A friend down the street mentioned the Goodyear Duratracs. They are a bit cheaper but look like they are more aggressive than what I want. That and they appear to be available in only either load range C or E. I believe my BFGs are D. There is still tread on my tires but they are looking dry and cracky in places. I'm in Tucson so they have been subjected to lots of sun and heat. Reading the code on the tire says it was manufactured in 2004. I've had them on the 4Runner since 2007 (Craigslist purchase)

ive had my bfg AT for 4 years and about 35k. they have been excellent tires and still have quite a bit of tread left.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Another vote for suck it up and get the BFGs. Buy quality and only cry once....
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast