Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decent BFG AT replacement?

General grabber at2 can be ordered in blackwalls, you could also mount the red lettered ones with the blackwall as well.

I had the good year silent armors on several work trucks, excellent traction and they last a long time. I currently run bridgestone dueler revos on my T100 and like them, although the snow/ice traction isnt as good as I hoped-think its due to the small tread voids-they load up like the BFG's do.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I'll have to look at them then. I always see the red letters and it really disturbs me.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I'll have to look at them then. I always see the red letters and it really disturbs me.
    I believe those are the original grabbers. I have blackwalls and the other side has white lettering.

stamped and snail mailed
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

One tire I will be looting into that my friend will be putting on his 4Runner soon is the BFG Rugged Terrain, NOT to be confused with the crappy BFG Rugged Trails, They look like a good tire and I look forward to see what he thinks of them in weather as well as what kind of MPG he gets.

I am still looking for a DD tire to put on the 4Runner and I think the Rugged Terrains are a contender, I have heard, at least for the 3rd gen guys, that the Duratracs suck the MPG out of our trucks, they are really soft, supper grippie and pretty heavy, which I think would cause the drop in MPG.

Yup, I lost 1 mpg with the duratracs and that's after adjusting for the size difference. I'll probably get something else next time.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Yup, I lost 1 mpg with the duratracs and that's after adjusting for the size difference. I'll probably get something else next time.

I feel like I lost 2 MPG going from 265/75R16 BFG ATs to my current Cooper Discoverer S/Ts in a 275/70R17 size. The tread pattern is more aggressive than the BFG, but not by much.

The Cooper is a 1/2" wider and 1/2" taller than the BFG, but it weighs 50.0 lbs while the smaller BFG is 52.5 lbs. The Cooper is load range C and the BFGs are now load range E only, but I still lost some mileage.

Ken, I think there are a lot of factors involved then just the size when it comes to these tires.

I feel with the load range, the lower the range the more the tire grips the road, sort of like airing down when you hit the trails so the tire conforms to the rock.

Also it comes to the tread and the rubber design, the duratracs are really soft and the design I think is pretty aggressive for an AT tire, looking at the pattern of the Cooper they look about as aggressive.

You can't bump up the pressure to much to even it out, you would wear the tires prematurely.

With the tires I have on top of the crappy gearing and dying engine, I guess I should be glad I still get better mileage then a H2...

Oh for sure the lower the load range it grips better, tires overall construction is much softer and pliable. 6 vs 8 or 10 ply is insane
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I haven't noticed much difference between the E and D BFG AT.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Nor have I or most Toyota owners.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast