Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bear - August 13-15, 2010

Big Bear - August 13-15, 2010

Here is the trip report for Big Bear, August 13-15, 2010.

after loading up the truck and trailer, we headed up Hwy 330, turned onto Hwy 18, and then on to green valley road. Crossing the water on 3N16 on our way to the camp was a nice bit of fun. too bad it wasnt a bit deeper!

we arrived about 1 in the afternoon and setup camp in the worst campsite i have ever seen. the stall was the wrong way round, so i had to go in the wrong direction to back the trailer in. The entire campsite was about 15* from horizontal. And oddly shaped.

Started out on saturday a bit late. Kevin and Bill had repairs to perform from the previous night. a broken CV on Bill's 3rd gen and a maladjusted alignment cam on Kevin's 2nd. We hit the eastern edge of Dishpan Springs at about 10 am.

After some time on the trail, we arrived at the waterfall. this is by far the most difficult section of the trail, which really isnt all that difficult. a few years ago i tagged my door and nearly rolled it due to some horrendous spotting. this time, there was an easier path, and i had good spotters and a little more knowledge of the trail and my vehicle. i got through it no problem:

here is mikey making it look easy (click to play:

and marc's second try after getting it into 4wd (click to play):

thats about all the pictures i got of the trail.

While everyone else enjoyed deep creek and then returned to camp on dishpan springs, we returned to the campsite via Hwy 18 to play doctor on dad's leg, ate lunch, and went exploring some of the near by dirt roads. the forest is in pretty rough shape after the fires.

Mikey, we had a brief convo on the CB about Holcomb creek. i didnt get to add much because i was trying to not hit rocks. the trail is closed because of approx. 1200 "danger" trees. trees that are dead and in danger of falling on the trail, blocking it, hurting vehicles or people. expected opening date is may of 2011, but who knows. this is all from a ranger at the disco center.

CARNAGE REPORT:

The only real carnage for us was sustained by my father:

the worrying part is he is diabetic and healing takes longer than normal. he is in a bit of pain but otherwise fine. i think a trip to the doc is a possibility tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

otherwise, lots of scraped sliders, bumpers, skid plates. i even nailed my panhard bar!

it was a great trip! awesome to see some old friends like Mikey and Marc, and nice to meet some new ones like Bill. and thanks to Chris, Kevin, Patric, Lance and Troy for coming out! Troy, i DID scratch my rear bumper. ill get a picture of it for you later!!!

thanks again guys, it was a great trip!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Big Bear - August 13-15, 2010

Great pictures Sean! Wish I was there!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

can't wait to see the rest of the pics from everyone else! looks like a great time!

it's too bad your dad got scraped up, but it doesn't look too bad. I don't know if a trip to the doctor is really necessary. I'm assuming you guys cleaned it up already, so there's not much the doctor can do. You're right that he'll take longer to heal since he has diabetes, so make sure to be really diligent about keeping the wound clean. Vitamin C will help speed up the healing process.
    Definitely go to the doctor for the following: fever, pus at the wound site, discoloration of the foot, loss of sensation, trouble walking, or significant swelling. Those are just my two cents. But a visit to the doc never hurts, especially if he has to go anyways for diabetes management.
    1986 pickup 4x4 SR5, 5-spd, 33x10.5 BFG KM1 muds, 2" body lift, front and rear lockrights, 4.88s, 4.7 t-case with Dave'z twin stick,  BudBuilt crossmember with 1" drivetrain lift, Downey grille guard and skid plate, TG sliders, MC rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by toyNG
    can't wait to see the rest of the pics from everyone else! looks like a great time!

it's too bad your dad got scraped up, but it doesn't look too bad. I don't know if a trip to the doctor is really necessary. I'm assuming you guys cleaned it up already, so there's not much the doctor can do. You're right that he'll take longer to heal since he has diabetes, so make sure to be really diligent about keeping the wound clean. Vitamin C will help speed up the healing process.
    Definitely go to the doctor for the following: fever, pus at the wound site, discoloration of the foot, loss of sensation, trouble walking, or significant swelling. Those are just my two cents. But a visit to the doc never hurts, especially if he has to go anyways for diabetes management.
    yeah, $5 copay (thank god for health insurance) isnt too bad just to be sure. we washed it with warm water to remove debris, put hydrogen peroxide on it, rinsed it, dried it, triple antibiotic on it, then a bandage. did the same when we came home today. it looks better, but there is really no skin left on most of it.

we actually had a pretty big turnout, more than i thought we were going to have after some people had to bail last minute. potluck was of course great! thanks to those who pitched in!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

great time meeting some new people! and finaly im on the trail with Sean after 2 years! dishpan is a fun one with some cool lines for locked vehicles and enjoyable lines for stock.

one thing is for sure...i will never drive past deep creek without going swiming again. haha i'll just plan a solid hour or more of playing in the water from now on

Had a blast in BB...it was cool meeting some peeps I have seen on the boards for a long time, but never met.

I think until Holcomb Creek opens again, Dishpan is my favorite trail....you cant go wrong with challenging obstacles and a swim after.

I think we need to plan another run soon.
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

as always I had a blast! the pool rocked! I think we need to do this again and bring camp chairs and even a portable grill so we can have a LONGER lunch

great seeing all of the old faces and new ones too! cya next time!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

yeah i agree. might as well leave early and spend 3-4 hours down there at the creek.

Had a great time. Nice meeting you guys after all these years. Thanks to Mikey and Chris for giving me a hand with the CV. Can't wait for next time.
    2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

Im home Im tired and there is beer in my cooler good night i wil report back here in the morning
    85 4 runner that&#39;s just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast