Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This isn't your parent's end of the world outfitting list....

This isn't your parent's end of the world outfitting list....

Okay guys. Lets talk doomsday hypotheticals. For the purpose of humor and entertainment, let's assume the world has succumbed to Zombie Invasion (in reality, this could be invasion by a foreign power, social collapse, or a post-apocalyptic scenario) The main focus of this thread will be non-weapon oriented, as I already have a good idea, and a relatively well stocked set-up where that is concerned. If you want to add any thoughts along that line though, thats fine. Just follow the sample post below.

The main focus of this thread will be food and water supply and storage ideas. Requirements for food and hydration needs for a group of people. The secondary focus will be miscellaneous supplies such as medicine, equipment, etc. The optional focus are weapons. Firearms, hand weapons, traps, caliber discussions, etc. TO keep it organized lets give an introduction with any facts or theories that you have concerning the discussion, then list out categories and supply lists.

SAMPLE:

My research indicates that a person can survive on x amount of food a day, and x amount of water, but to remain in good health, they should have x amount of food, and x amount of water.
    My lists assume you live in a moderate climate, of reasonably navigable terrain.

Food: (per person, or per group)
    list items and any particular reasons here.

Equipment/Misc Supplies:
    list any items, reasons here, think camping equipment, navigation aids, vehicles, first aid, medical suuplies, etc.

Weaponry:
    list any ideas, suggestions and the reasons behind such here.

Again, the focus of this thread is the storage of how much and what types of food for a short term or long term survival/seige situation. I want a reasonably realistic interaction here. I think most people are familiar with the basics such as MRE's but don't leave these out of your lists. What type of food? how long will it keep on a shelf? these are the things I am looking for.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: This isn't your parent's end of the world outfitting list....

Not really complete or all inclusive of our plans & resources, but here's our basics:

Not to be a jack*** right off the starting line, but in preparation for the inevitable Zombie invasion I'm getting laser beams shot into my corneas (I've heard the wait time for a contact script is unbearable post-apocalypse) and I'm already planning a move to the mountains away from population centers. Many of the basic systems we like are already embedded in the RV (minus the v-shaped snow plow/corpse and body mover but I'm working on that) - stove, fridge & furnace run off propane (need a larger stationary tank when we get west) and 12V alt energy rounds out the creature comforts. Food stores have been whittled down a bit in prep for our move, but we still have several air/water tight mil-spec shipping containers with soft food and some plain plastic bins with the can and spices (again, RV has a 100 gallon potable water tank).
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

a mine out here that was set up for a fall out shelter just carried biscuit mix and water. i guess that would give you the carbs of bread but im not sure how long you would be good without vitamins and protein. i suppose the last two could be sourced from your surrounding alot easier then flour

Any idea what the shelf life of "just add water" biscuit mixes have?

I agree, that is a nice basic, a little harder to store as it usually comes in bags, so it has to be packed in water tight containers, and you, obviously have to have an abundant supply of fresh water beyond drinking water... and again, as you mentioned there are the drawbacks of no meat and proteins.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

...and just to be clear although discussing plans is important, and can be done here also, the focus of this thread is to list specific needs, the specific things you have stored/packed for travel, etc.
    -Chris

ok here is a quick list of items of the top of my head that i think are a most have

Food: 1 cases of MRE's per person. 1 MRE per day per person will keep you healthy. 2 per day will keep you from feeling hungry. assorted can food. stay away from add water foods. they steal from your water supply and can dehydrate you if enough waters not added.
    5 gallon and 2.5 gallon jug of water.

Equipment/Misc Supplies:
    vehicle: 4x4 4runner
    5 gallon fuel cans x 2
    first aid kit (emt medbag)
    1 gallon jug of iodine, for cuts and can be used to purify water instead of iodine tablets
    HAM radio (still need to get one)
    spool 550 cord (nylon rope)
    poncho: used for shelter, collecting water, container for making home made water filter.
    knife
    compass
    mirror
    fire starter matches and lighters go out to easy in wind and dont last long enough
    deck or cards, to fight the worst enemy boredom.
    fishing line and hooks if you live near water.

Weaponry:
    1 22lr rifle with scope: great for hunting small game and birds ( main food source). ammo is cheap light and small so you can carry lots.
    1 AK or AR15 type rifle per person: hunting man sized animals and self defense AK prefered do to lower maintenance but AR style is more popular.
    45 caliper pistol: self defense from people or large animals like bears. large animals are to dangerous to hunt in survival situations.
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

According to the Zombie Survival Guide, a trench spike is the the best compact anti-zombie weapon on earth
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

i thought the ZSG said a crowbar was?
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

Oh yeah, guns:
    ** Glock 9mm because I like a gun with the safety on its trigger
    ** Mossberg Maverick 12ga 18.5" barrel because the sound of a shotgun cycling a round is universally known
    ** 30.06 (no clue on gun make but it's old, accurate and I think Argentinian?) - one shot, one kill.

If this isn't enough run/take cover/hide
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by randver
    i thought the ZSG said a crowbar was?
    no that was gordon freeman
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast