Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mosque near Ground Zero, what's your take?

Re: Mosque near Ground Zero, what's your take?

I agree with you completely Sean. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think it is pretty obvious that they have the constitutional right to build a Mosque wherever they want. And while I don’t think the government should step in and do anything, I still find it to be a huge insult to the families, friends, relatives, etc. of the victims of September 11th and the American people as a whole. The government has offered them land elsewhere in the city where they can build their Mosque, so why not avoid confrontation and build it somewhere else? They are just being stupid and confrontational and trying to get publicity. I just find it terribly insensitive and disrespectful of them to not consider the feelings of the American people. If they do build a Mosque there, it will become an instant target for vandalism, and rightfully so…
    2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4X4: <br />Revtek 3&quot; Spacer Lift in Front<br />OME 890 3&quot; Lift Rear Coil Springs in Back<br />Pro Comp ES3000 Shocks and Struts<br />Hunter Grille/Brush Guard<br />Spectre Custom Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow 18&quot; Muffler<br />NGK Performance Spark Plug Wires<br />E3 Performance Spark Plugs<br />Custom Ion Projector Fog Lights<br />Clear Bumper/Turn Signal Lights<br />Clear Corner/Parking Lights (With LED Bulbs)<br />15&quot; OEM Rims-Painted Black

I have to agree with a lot that is being said.

Though I do have a few words to add being that I am a Muslim myself...
    I am just trying to collect my thoughts and word it right in the sense that I won't offend anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    I have to agree with a lot that is being said.

Though I do have a few words to add being that I am a Muslim myself...
    I am just trying to collect my thoughts and word it right in the sense that I won't offend anyone.
    are you an american born muslim or did you grow up in a muslim country? its a pretty big difference in perspective. similar to american born jewish and growing up in isreal.

im looking forward to hearing what you think

American Born, and I am trying to find my best words without heating up anyone here.

explain to me what the difference is?
    Just curious, having trouble seeing the difference.

i think you might believe i ment to mean that in a negative light and i didnt. i just ment to say that clearly your environment and experiences, as they relate to your religion, arent the same as a young man growing up in say afganistan or even kuwait.

not to nullify your opinion on the subject, just stating its coming from a different view point then the people who want to build this mosque in or around that location.

again i look forward to your view and i hope you have alot of input. america has sterio types of muslims that are not correct because of things like this threads topic. your word up on a board might be the first thing muslim that someone on here might see outside of the news.

Avi, I'm looking forward to hearing from you and I don't think you have to worry about offending anyone since I think everyone knows you pretty well, for the web.

I take this mosque/community center in two ways: how I expect it to be viewed both inside the US and outside and as it should be viewed both in and out. The mosque could be perceived as being a crowning achievement of the terrorists. They can use our acceptance as a cudgel, paint our resistance as bigoted (which is a sensitive spot for us), and smile while the imam lauds the murderers of 9/11. The other way it could be viewed is how the Germans have dealt with the Holocaust. They have rightly shown the evil of the concentration camps and preserved them as memorials to what happens when we are intolerant. This congregation could look at 9/11 as a sign of shame for what was done in Allah's name. The choice is up to this congregation, but they should know that most of the world is watching them.

I think that since they have railed against bigotry instead of asking for acceptance that they have shown their intent. If a Christian group wanted to build a church on the Wounded Knee site and wasn't outspoken about how they wanted to support and reach out the Native Americans every news outlet would be screaming for blood.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

I don't oppose it.

I am getting there, sorry I am taking so long on my resposne.
    I just start to write something and then another thought pops in my head and I start writing that one and then forget the first thought I had so it takes me a while to get back to it and finish it.

That and all the side jobs and family fun I have been trying to get done makes it hard to respond.

Now I know what its like to work 40+ hours a week and do tons of stuff on the side, my poor forum life is slipping away...

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    ..in either case dont mistake it as anything less then a military maneuver by the Islamic world. this is how they do business. its a sign of conquering a nation to erect a mosque on sacred ground...
    Well said, I was avoiding bringing that up.

IMHO, No on a mosque, or any other place of worship.

Here's our thinking, build a memorial with a park or new buildings around there, yes. Just, please, not something involving religion. All walks of life were there that day, all lost someone or something. To isolate one singular religion is inappropriate, moreso, it's borderline arrogant or waffling under, whatever some people believe the merits to be.

I wouldn't push my beliefs as for religion on others and I feel it would be pushing that on us, and I lost a good friend that day and am still angry and sad to this day over the whole thing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast