Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many miles before you replaced your shocks?

How many miles before you replaced your shocks?

How many miles did you have on your vehicle before you replaced your shocks and how did
    you know it was time? Mike

Re: How many miles before you replaced your shocks?

I went about 120k miles on my factory shocks. They way you can tell is when you hit a bump your truck will continue to bounce longer than it used to. It shouldn't bounce up and down more than once or twice on a speed bump.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I just barely broke 100k on mine and probably could have gone longer (I had one rear that looked like it was leaking oil), but I often push my stuff a bit farther than I should. The issue is really diminishing returns because you think the old shocks are fine until you see how much better the truck rides when they've been replaced. Oil on the shock is a sure sign of needing replacement as is the speed bump test (the truck should stop bouncing after one ocilation beyond the speed bump (you can do the old jump on the bumper test, but it's not as reliable as actually driving over obstacles). Like I said, shocks usually lose efffectiveness slowly so it's often hard to really know exactly when is the "right" time to change them unless there is a clear failure.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Thanks guy's. This Tacoma is so much stiffer than any other truck I have owned over the years that it's hard for me to tell. Maybe I'll just go ahead and replace them anyway so I don't have to worry about it for several more years. I have around 87,000 on it now and it's a 01, extend.. cab, 4x4, SR5 Tacoma. Mike

mine have 148k on them
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

88k on mine when the shocks were replaced. Once I had them replaced with Bilsteins - BIG difference in road feel.
    2000 Sport Edition TRD Supercharged<br /><br />http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...side/Sig18.jpg<br /><br />Baseline 2.1&quot; Pulley No Tune:<br />246 RWHP &amp; 282 RWTQ<br />6 second 0-60

I use 75k as a general rule - that is so I do it by the time I hit 80 or 85k. They wear out after a while and you do not really notice it til they are bad or you just install new ones.
    99 4Runner SR5 - Desert Dune<br />Bri-Mar 5x8 trailer, Toyo OC AT 265.75.16, PP Springs and Bilsteins, AirRaid MIT and Deckplate, Aftermarket HU w/ Sirius built-in

Quote Originally Posted by gpcollen
    I use 75k as a general rule - that is so I do it by the time I hit 80 or 85k. They wear out after a while and you do not really notice it til they are bad or you just install new ones.
    That is pretty good advice and I agree completely. I think most people (including myself because I'm often being cheap) push it too far on old shocks and don't realize how much the ride has deteriorated over time until the new shocks go on. The 75-85k is a good rule of thumb if you want to continually maintain ride comfort over time.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

mine have 123k on them and i would love some new ones

If the orignal owner didnt replace them before he sold it at 110k. Then my orignals have 187k on them. Might be time to replace.
    -Bryan- 99 Sr5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast