Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Tacoma reliabilty

2005 Tacoma reliabilty

I am looking at trading in my 2000 4runner for an 2005 4door Tacoma, I was told the Taco is basically a 4runner with a box on the back. Trying to get some info pros and con on the Taco. I don't off road and 80% of my driving is on the slab. If anyone has any advice I'd really apprciate it. Thanks !

Re: 2005 Tacoma reliabilty

Nice thing about the Taco is that the 6 speed manual is available on the short bed trucks. E-locker too.

The Tacoma and 4Runner have similar mechanical bits, although the rear suspension is totally different (leaf vs. coils).

I haven't heard many cons, except for some pinging on a few 4.0s, and Scuba was telling me the boxes aren't built as well as the older trucks. If you are staying on road though, I don't think you have to worry about the box.

They hold their value well, and if I could afford one, I'd buy it.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

ive heard reports of the composite bed cracking. not sure how much of a big deal that is.

otherwise, there are differences between 5 and 6 lug trucks. 6 lug are probably built a little better with the front suspension being stronger for one.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks for the input,they are pricey thats for sure from what I have seen and read they are supposed to be as reliable as the 4runner I just need a truck, I have looked at the tundras too but will probably stay with the Taco don't need a big truck though.

why not a 1st gen taco, or even a 1st gen tundra?

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I don't know much about the Tundra reliabilty or fuel milage, I assume the Tundra won't get as good of milage as the Taco anyone know much about the Tundra??

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    ive heard reports of the composite bed cracking. not sure how much of a big deal that is.
    Well, I can say that they are stronger than I thought. Ours took a direct hit from a fullsize chevy and destroyed the fender. I fully expected to find cracks at all the bolts holding the composite bed down, but the only thing cracked is the storage compartment attached to the inside of the bed and it just has a spider crack on its mounting bolt not bad considering it took a direct hit.

So far, ~38,xxx on our 07, and no problems other than those associated with the accident (knocking on wood). Except for our overhead temp/compass quit working but I just found out that it's a simple DIY fix.

The sport seats are really comfortable (maybe even better than my 4runner)but the netting stuff makes it hard to keep clean. Not a big deal conidering I have two kids and they would destroy/stain any seat. OUrs is our family car and has been a good one.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by cvc42
    I don't know much about the Tundra reliabilty or fuel milage, I assume the Tundra won't get as good of milage as the Taco anyone know much about the Tundra??
    Tundra's are good trucks. The 2uzfe 4.7 V8 is a very good motor. They also share a lot of their mechanical bits with other Toyota's. Most come with a 4.7 V8 and automatic, but there are some out there with a 4.0 V6 and optional 6 speed manual tranny. If you want a 1st gen Tundras with a V8, try to get the '05 or '06 that come with the 5 speed automatic and VVTi. Only thing to keep an eye out for is rust on the back half of the frame. Not a common problem around here, but CJM said they were pretty rusty up north where he's at.

The Tundra is worse on gas than the Tacoma. If you don't tow anything heavy and you want a truck to haul small stuff, than a Tacoma may be better.

Just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Yea pretty dang rusty for some reason, kept me away since every single one I saw had varying rust issues. I was following 99-06 ones on a forum and plenty of PO'd people and some had the rear crossmember for the spare just FALL off!

Also had some leaking issues near the cowl, brake issues (unless you got the later larger calipers/upgrade), 05-06 had this stupid electronic downshift where if you hit the brakes on a hill it dumps down a gear-great for climbing a hill-but when going down only so so. A few guys had issue with it in traffic cause it would downshift oddly, etc. Not to bad overall, tho.

FWIW my buddy just got a new to him 06 taco with 10k on it, its already rusting pretty bad. I looked under a 07 or so tundra and it was rusting too. I dont understand wtf they are doing other than not coating them worth a damn. If you get any newer taco, 4runner or tundra go under it and spray it with something like rustoleum rust reformer and then satin black. I painted my T100 years ago and only 1 part rusted again and I probably missed painting it.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

it still amazes me that states still use salt on their roadways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast