Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: roof hole ham antenna mount option questions

Re: roof hole ham antenna mount option questions

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    what do you think about the SBB-1? i like it alot but its still pricey for what it is. im wondering if i could get away with a 2m 1/4 cheapo for both 2m and 70cm

oh and an update. one of the jeepers guys says hes taken the SBB-7 on all the rock runs and its still working well. ill find out soon but im thinking its probably very light weight for its length. maybe it wont sling around as bad as im thinking
    I also have a diamond MR77 mag mount that works great for daily use.
    2005 T4R Silver SR5 V6 4WD with Mods!<br /><br />IFS 4WD Conversion done!

I have no idea what kind of ant I run other than its a mag. mount. Troy if you want to check out my set up let me know I was just talking to some dude in OC from my driveway

hey just an update this worked out fine. i did buy a slightly larger washer to sopport the base of the mount but ham antennas are very lightweight. realisticaly id worry about it ripping sheet metal if it were in the 150" range and i was at the hammers.

these ham radios are really neat. ive made contacts in Hemit, Washington and San Fransisco using repeters from my driveway. the learning curve is steep. you will go from totally lost to pretty proficient in about 2 hours

ham radios are the way to go .. i have run quite a few antennas on my truggy but i think the best was the larson

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    hey just an update this worked out fine. i did buy a slightly larger washer to sopport the base of the mount but ham antennas are very lightweight. realisticaly id worry about it ripping sheet metal if it were in the 150" range and i was at the hammers.

these ham radios are really neat. ive made contacts in Hemit, Washington and San Fransisco using repeters from my driveway. the learning curve is steep. you will go from totally lost to pretty proficient in about 2 hours
    So what radio and antenna did you end up with? Mounted pics?

Did you take your test? Scheduling mine is on my to do list for today.

i ended up with a kenwood TM-V71A for its back lite buttons and 50 watts on 440. supposedly its easier to program then a 8800, but i have nothing to compare it too. i also bought a SBB-7 55" antnna and a shorty SBB-1 for the woods.
    i took the test a couple of weeks ago. i had to drive 45 minutes for the nearest spot that weekend but at least its over with. you'll find it easy.

theres not much for pics as the radio is a remote type so its just a control head velcroed next to my drink holders on the dash. the antenna is more or less right in the middle of the roof but is less remarkable then my CB antenna since the ham antenna is so thin

in testing ive made contacts over mountians now with skip. its some pretty neat stuff.

Cool. I've got 2 testing spots within 15 minutes of me that have tests once a month.

Couple of questions for you Troy. Do you have a sunroof? Did you drill a hole and go with an NMO mount for your antenna?

i do have a sun roof although it is non-op. i drilled just beyond where the sunroof would be if it were fully retracted. i ended up with a PL259/so239 mount

I'm wondering if you pulled back enough headliner or know if a mount near the sunroof would work. I have a sunroof and use it but also have a roof rack and basket. The only open spot I have is behind the sunroof but don't know how much room I'd have to work with. There has got to be some room because the dome light is right around that area.

I'm thinking this would fit:
    http://www.wpsantennas.com/mb8antene...connector.aspx

I just wanted to see if anyone had been down this route because if I have to pull the headliner I only want to do it once and during that one time I'd be doing the install. I've had a mag mount up there and the exterior location is great for reception and clearance with stuff but want to clean things up a bit.

Can you post up a link to what you've got?

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast