Thread: First Aid Kits - Post Yours!

First Aid Kits - Post Yours!

While I was preparing this thread, the motorcade carrying the body of Sgt. Raymond Alcaraz of the Army's 173rd Brigade Support Battalion. Alcaraz was killed August 31 of wounds sustained from a roadside IED attack in Afghanistan. Seems a fitting coincidence that the funeral procession carrying a medic would pass by my house as I was assembling a first aid kit. We are infinitely grateful for his sacrifice. This thread is dedicated to him. Here is more information on Sgt. Alcaraz http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/ci_16036061?

After treating my father's wounds at the last Big Bear trip, it became apparent I needed to update and add to my first aid kit. My first kit was a standard basic kit from walmart, I knew then that I needed more. I added gauze and a few other supplies. this served me well, and was adequate for my needs in Big Bear.

The Goal of my new kit is to be able to treat several injuries like the ones my dad sustained. This is by no means a perfect kit. Between this fairly basic kit, other supplies commonly available, and a little know how and ingenuity, this should be able to at least provide enough support to get an injured person to medical help, if not sustain an injury for several days.

The base of my first aid kit is a surplus ammo can I have had for years. The rubber seal is still very good, so it is water tight, dust proof, etc. I painted it red and applied white reflective crosses to identify it as first aid and keep it high visibility.

Here is a break down of what is inside (descriptions are from left to right, top to bottom) and why:

Bag #1: Tongue Depressors [Came with my purchased kit, useful for splints, etc], Gloves [Came with kit, keeps hands clean], Snake Bite Kit [usefulness is debatable, use would depend on situation], Bandaids, Moleskin [blisters hurt and can lead to infection], (2) Ace Bandages [Sprains are very common injuries offroad].

The bandaid box contains a wide variety of bandaids, above and beyond any standard box. it is stuffed!

Bag #2: (2) Roll Gauze [cover large areas like appendages, keeps pad gauze in place], Cold Pack [reduce swelling], Medical Tape, Anti-Fainting Medication [Fiance is an ex EMT, so she will be the one using these], and an additional Cold Pack

Bag #3: (3) Surgipads [Good for heavy bleeding], (30) Non-Stick Gauze [good for scrapes and burns]

Bag #4: Vaseline [Many uses], Carmex [Chapped lips hurt!]

Bag #5: Imodium [dehydration can be deadly], Benadryl Gel [mosquito bites can make you miserable, also treats poison oak, etc], Pepto Chewable [upset stomach is common when eating camp food], Extra Strength Tylenol [fever, paint], Benadryl Pills [food allergies, bug bites, sleep aid], Triple Antibiotic, Super Glue [use to close a wound in an emergency, or as a liquid bandage when applied with tissue], Motrin [Pain], Asprin [pain, heart attack].

Bag #6: Hydrogen Peroxide [To Clean wounds]

Thats about all I can fit in the box!

So there is my kit. If you are building one, hopefully this will be a good starting point for you. If you have one already, post it up!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: First Aid Kits - Post Yours!

Is it just me or is this post empty? Where's your kit Sean?

I'm getting ready for a trip this weekend and this will give me a good chance to run through mine to make sure everything is good to go.
    I'll snap some pictures and post up.

what happened to my post?!

actually if you go to this post through the forums (not the list on the left of the front page) you will find it doesnt even exist! i must have accidentally deleted it or something?

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

mods, please delete. if you can...