Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Aid Kits - Post Yours!

First Aid Kits - Post Yours!

While I was preparing this writeup, the funeral procession for a fallen soldier passed by my house. Sgt. Raymond Alcaraz was an Army Medic who was killed in an IED attack in Afghanistan on Aug. 31. This thread is dedicated to him.

After Dad's little scrape in Big Bear, my humble first aid kit needed to be replenished. I originally purchased a basic kit from walmart, and added things like gauze and pads to it. It served me well for a while, but it was apparent i needed something a little more complete.

My new kit includes all usable pieces from the old, plus updated supplies and more items that are needed for an in-vehicle first aid kit.

First, I chose a container. The previous plastic clam-shell rarely closed correctly, and was vastly too small for my needs. I choose a small ammo can as my first aid box. The rubber seal is still good, so it is water tight, and should survive anything i throw at it. I painted it bright red and put a white cross made of reflective tape, so it is obvious what it is, and the box can be used as a reflector at night.

Second, I had to choose the contents. Alot of my old kit was still good, so most of it stayed. I also added quite a bit of items, and in the quantity needed to sustain a moderate injury for several days, or to transport a severely injured person to medical help. Some of the items should only be used by someone with medical training. Luckily Alexus is a former EMT. This kit, combined with items commonly found in a vehicle or on a person, and some knowledge, should cover most every emergency situation. This kit also must serve more than just trauma duty, offering relief from common and frequent ailments found where ever this vehicle travels. This kit will never leave the vehicle.

I separated items based on their usage into ziploc bags to keep everything neat and clean.

Bag #1: Tongue depressors [splints, etc], gloves, snake bite kit [usefulness is questionable, depends on circumstances], bandaids [more below], moleskin [blisters hurt and are prone to infection], (2) ACE bandages [Sprains are common]

Bandaids: the box is stuffed. many different types from butterflies to large pads.

Bag #2: (2) Roll gauze [good for securing gauze pads to arms and legs, or wrapping fingers], (2) Chemical Cold Packs, Medical Tape, Anti Fainting medication [keep people from passing out]

Bag #3: (6) Surgipads [for wounds that bleed alot], (30) non stick gauze pads [for scrapes/burns]

Bag #4: Vaseline [Many uses], Carmex [Chapped lips are uncomfortable]

Bag #5: Imodium AD[diarrhea can lead to dehydration and is plane uncomfortable!], Benadryl Gel [mosquito bites and poison oak, etc], Pepto Chewable[upset stomach is common while camping], Tylenol[fever], Benadryl Pills[allergies, both annoying and life threatening], Triple Antibiotic, Super Glue [Close a wound or with tissue to cover a minor wound], Motrin [Pain], Aspirin [Heart Attack]

Bag #6: Hydrogen Peroxide

It all fits snugly in its new home:

Hopefully this will help you assemble your own. When you do, or if you already have one assembled, POST IT HERE!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 05-31-2013 at 09:04 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: First Aid Kits - Post Yours!

Good info Sean.
    I too have a friend who is an EMT and if I ask nicely could supply me with the necessities needed.

Now I just need to find an ammo can lol!

I'm all about safety. Sure I'll be the first one to juggle open pocket knives, step on coals, etc but I'm also prepared. Both our cars have extensive kits, as do all my Camelbacks, bike bags, fishing bags, chainsaw case etc. All the kits are a little different for the given task. They are all different sizes given their location but you get the idea (read:I get hurt a lot)

I'm going to show my 4Runner kit. It is soft sided, fits under the front seat and doesn't take up too much room. If I were going on an extensive backpacking trip or trip in someone elses vehicle I would bring this kit along.

Pics:

I know how to use and have much experience with everything in the kit. One thing I've considered is someone who is not experienced or someone who is hurt themselves using it. Having everything visible and labeled helps a lot. Having something in your kit that you don't know how to use can be dangerous but can also be helpful for someone else who does know how to use it. The more experience you have the better you can be prepared.

I'm not going to itemize everything but let me know if you have any questions.

Sean, a couple of things I didn't notice in you kit but might want to put in.
    Small flashlight (for looking in a mouth or eye)
    Tweezers
    Safety pins
    Thermometer
    pen, pencil, paper (good for writing down someone information and when and what you have administered. If need be you can pin this on someone's shirt so it will go with them to the hospital).
    Magnifying glass (mine is one of the credit card sized ones)
    Matches/lighter
    Razor blade
    Scissors
    Gloves
    Nail clippers (I have seen some mangled feet and hands just on hikers and bike riders)
    Wound irrigation syringe
    Larger wire splint (like for a leg). We helped a co-worker/he helped us travel 5 miles to a vehicle. Without being able to splint his leg well it would have taken a lot longer or not even at all.

These lists can go on and on but before too long you'll have a crash bag. There are several outfits online that sell bags and organizers. There are also some companies that sell very nice refill kits. REI actually carries some with some high quality refill kits for different activities. Caution using quick clot products/military grade field products. I have read good and bad. Bad is having to have chunks surgically removed when common methods would have worked.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 02-24-2014 at 01:14 PM.

i was a Navy Corpsman for 14 years. i keep a medium size EMT bag in my 4runner at all times. i do have a SHTF GO-Bag that i keep combat stocked. but hopefully that one will never leave my garage.
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

great thread, guys. sean, good idea on converting the ammo can

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/First%20Aid/DSC08126.jpg[/img]

got a lotta pills in there mr hunter thompson haha
    great thread! really like the set ups here. ill try to get pictures of my stuff. i have my issued personal first aid kit and another one built up of more normal supplys and a israely bandage

Added an oral anesthetic gel to my kit. toothaches suck on the trail!

I also fixed the pictures.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean,

Looks good man! I cheated and got myself one of these kits from Adventure Medical Kits. I know it's expensive and I could have put one together but I got lazy so I have one of these pre-packaged kits for my Land Cruiser.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...e=Fundamentals

The 4runner still has my mix of stuff I've bought from CVS/Rite Aide etc.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I need to fix my pictures above. My kit is the same but we have another little bag for the kids. They tend to bleed a lot from little tiny cuts and all my stuff is a bit too big. A regular sized band aid can almost go around my 4 year olds thigh. She also has an inhaler but it's very rare to be needed. Both kids are quite sensitive to grasses and bugs when camping. We've already had 3 camping trips this year and have been though a whole box of children's chewable benadryl which is a life saver when you're in the woods.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-03-2013 at 08:36 PM.

I've added and subtracted things over the years. I should post up a revised list.

some major changes include sealing my trauma supplies in food saver bags. I use the other bags nearly every trip for something, but the one with gauze, etc will only get used when needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast