Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

correct, the $75 rotor are it. pads were OEM i ordered through Rafa@NTP

one thing i want to mention, due to some glitches wiht FEDEX, pads from Rafa didn't arrive on time, i had to go to Longo Toyota to get a pair of the same pads. it costed me <$50 from Rafa shipped to my door, and $92 for me to pick up myself at Longo. so when Fedex dropped off the pads from Rafa, i returned them to Longo, no brainer.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Well looks like the newbie is next. Just bought these on eBay. Dude couldn't confirm casting number but I think I'm OK and they were a good price. NAPA wanted 80.00 + 82.00 Core and Autozone was about $10 less. Way too much for my taste considering I want to keep my 4Runner Calipers.

Take a look and see if I'm OK here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260283652425

Raubestos part matched the number going around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sled_Dog
    Well looks like the newbie is next. Just bought these on eBay. Dude couldn't confirm casting number but I think I'm OK and they were a good price. NAPA wanted 80.00 + 82.00 Core and Autozone was about $10 less. Way too much for my taste considering I want to keep my 4Runner Calipers.

Take a look and see if I'm OK here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260283652425

Raybestos part matched the number going around.
    Just got these today, casting number S13WE, looks like I got an OK deal, rebuilt Bendix calipers for about $64 each shipped with no core charge. They didn't include the W shaped anti-rattle spring. One of the pistins is slightly marred at the ends on the inside, the surface that will make contact with the pads looks OK and flush, to put it another way the inside of the "cup" is a little marred. Do you guys think that could be a problem?

Also I wanted to ask, I found a good deal on some new OEM Tundra rotors. Do these suffer the same warping issue as our 4Runner rotors? I'd rather do OEM as much as possible but if the Brembo's are better then that's what I'll go with.

Thanks for this thread and advice guys, this is super cool, I'm really getting charged up to do this!

the whole reason for the swap is the thicker tundra rotor. the diameter is not any larger than stock 4runner disks, but the disks are thicker, thus reducing the warping problem. the OEM rotors will be fine. i chose to go with brembo because they were just about the same price as OEM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The Tundra rotors are so much better than stock that even the el cheapo house brand rotors will usually be fine (I'm running a no-name set myself). It's much more critical to have a good brand if you tow alot or are just using the stock brake setup.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

*BUMP*
    ok so im hooked on this mod my brakes on my 97 are complete shizzle! pedal has vibration when braking at certain speeds, the pedal has to be depressed at leas 35/40% before any braking occurs.
    so get calipers from Napa or Auto zone.
    get Rotors from TireRack.com http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P
    get pad from Toyota or Napa,Autozone does it make a difference?
    should I replace my brake lines with SS one? if so can some one provide me with a link as to what lines I need to buy.

all in all this should run me about $400ish I presume..

EDIT: well im screwed I have a 15" wheel so I guess I am SOL on this mod this really chaps my hide as I dont feel my brakes are even safe in the condition they are in now and I would love to do this mod, however I can not afford new wheels/tires
    97&#039; SR5 3.4L 4x4 auto trans&nbsp; its Bone stock at the moment. <br /><br />-=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by Flomaster
    *BUMP*
    ok so im hooked on this mod my brakes on my 97 are complete shizzle! pedal has vibration when braking at certain speeds, the pedal has to be depressed at leas 35/40% before any braking occurs.
    so get calipers from Napa or Auto zone.
    get Rotors from TireRack.com
    get pad from Toyota or Napa,Autozone does it make a difference?
    should I replace my brake lines with SS one? if so can some one provide me with a link as to what lines I need to buy.

all in all this should run me about $400ish I presume..

EDIT: well im screwed I have a 15" wheel so I guess I am SOL on this mod this really chaps my hide as I dont feel my brakes are even safe in the condition they are in now and I would love to do this mod, however I can not afford new wheels/tires
    Flowmaster, if you're short on cash and want to do the mod then get used parts from a boneyard and spend the rest of the cash to get 16" rims/tires off craigslist (then sell your old set to recoup some of the cash) which will fit. When I did the mod I bought used calipers ($50 set), house brand rotors ($30 ea), house brand pads ($20 set) and you don't need new SS lines or any of that stuff to make it functional. The sheer size of the brakes after the mod allow you use the cheaper parts and get away with it while the stock brakes you should be using the good stuff to prevent warping. The big barrier is that 16" rims and tires are a must have to do the mod.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Just thought I'd post up to say that the 231mm Tundra calipers (the larger ones found on the 2003+ Tundras and the ones that the TSB installs on the earlier Tundra's) fit with no caliper or wheel grinding on a 2002 4Runner with the stock 16" steel wheels. Read on...

Well, I tried the large (231mm) Tundra brake calipers and rotors on my 4Runner yesterday, and they fit with no grinding of the calipers or the wheels. Like all the other Tundra upgrade installs, I did have to trim the dust shield a bit above and below the caliper. Just thought I'd post up to try to keep as much info as possible about the different Tundra upgrade configurations in this thread. My 4Runner originally had the larger 4Runner brake package and stopped fine, but the rotors always warped soon after they were installed.

The specifics of my installation are as follows:

MY VEHICLE
    2002 4Runner, V6, Auto, 4x4, with the Stock 16" Steel Wheels

MY "NEW" PARTS
    Two remanufactured 2005 Tundra Calipers (13WL)
    Two OEM 2005 Tundra Rotors (43512-0C011)
    Akebono pads for 2005 Tundra from NAPA

The Tundra upgrade parts were bought used from my friend... he ran them on his 1999 Tacoma for the last 5 months. Not many miles were put on the truck in that time.

I took some fine grit sandpaper (180 grit) and lightly sanded the rotors to knock off the fine coating of pad material. I also lightly sanded the pad surfaces to remove the light glazing. Cleaned everything off with brake cleaner, installed the rotors, calipers and pads, bled the system, then off I went to re-bed the pads. After having bed the pads and done a bit of testing, I can only say WOW! Awesome mod.

The brakes on the 4Runner in my opinion had always stopped the truck very well, but the shuddering was very annoying. That is completely gone now, braking is very smooth, and the truck stops quicker than before.

As far as clearance with the steel wheels, it's not excessive, but there is approximately 3/32" between the wheel "spokes" and the edge of the caliper. There is plenty of clearance (same as stock) between the inside surface of the rim and the caliper.
    2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold

I would also like to add that the steel wheel on my spare tire does not clear the new Tundra 231mm calipers, therefore if I have a flat on the front, I'll have to put the spare on the rear and move the rear tire to the front.
    2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold

It depends... You may not be able to install Tundra brakes at all. 2nd gen and 3rd gen caliper bolting arrangements (spacing) are different. Tundra caliper bolt spacing is the same as 3rd gen 4Runners, but not 2nd gens. Not sure about your friend's '95 special release.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast