Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak from spark plug area - PVC problem? Seals?

Oil leak from spark plug area - PVC problem? Seals?

Hey all,

Popped the hood yesterday to do my bi weekly check and behold:

I pulled the first spark plug boot and it's covered in fresh oil. The second boot had a little bit of oil on it, and the third had none. I went for a drive, checked the boots again - same thing. The passenger side with the coil packs seems like it's OK, but there's still a tiny bit of seepage coming out from all three ( kinda hard to tell but it's in the picture )

The spark plugs, wires/boots are new and have less than 3k on them. The PVC valve is new. It rattles like it is supposed to. The valve cover seals were replaced at 58k - 89k now. The valve cover bolts were a little loose but it doesn't seem to be coming from there.

I thought I'd check the PVC stuff - the rubber hose going from the PVC valve has some yellow crud in it. The oil cap has a tiny bit of the same stuff. I think this is from moisture and not an HG...right? I usually don't drive the truck much but have to move it from one side of the street to the other six days a week. I know short drives are bad but there's not much I can do.

Anyway, it has been very cold up here, frequently 0F and below for the past two months. This week it warmed up to 40F or so. Could the extreme cold + quick thaw have affected my original spark plug hole seals? Could it be something else? I'd appreciate any idea's - I really hope it's not burned rings/headgasket!

I'll have to wait till end of February to get on this - I currently have no place to work but outside. Thanks everyone!

'96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Re: Oil leak from spark plug area - PVC problem? Seals?

I am not 100% sure our engines have them, but certain engines have little rubber donuts inside where the holes for the plugs are and sometimes on rockers. If we indeed do have these on the 3.4L they could be worn on on yours.

Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

If this [thanks to Jamie for the pic+thread] :

is what you&#39;re talking about then we do indeed have &#39;em!
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Yea they could be worn out, I havent ever seen such a thing on a lower mileage vehicle like yours-but you never know.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    If this [thanks to Jamie for the pic+thread] :

is what you're talking about then we do indeed have 'em!
    Yep, this is exactly what you need to do to fix that oil leak. Make sure to do both sides at the same time and replace the PCV valve when you do it. Ask the dealer for a "valve cover gasket kit" and it should come with all the seals to do the job. Unfortunately you will need to remove the intake to do the driver's side cover though. Besides rmoving the intake, it's a very easy job.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

hi mate apology for making this thread up. i just in need some plugs, i just wanna know on where can i buy low cost spark plugs? any idea?

Don't go low cost. Get them from the dealer.

Use either NGK or Denso. Don't use Bosch.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by clark2334
    hi mate apology for making this thread up. i just in need some plugs, i just wanna know on where can i buy low cost spark plugs?any idea?
    SNEAKY SNEAKY, took the quote to see it, but this guys is just spamming his "low cost spark plugs" He put a color tag on the link so it still appeared white. I removed the color tag, but killed the link.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Navigator

yall are too nice.. I read his post and had an urge to go all Pirate on him XD
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast