Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

I don't think I'd feel good taking off much more than 1/8" unless it was on a rib boss.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

ok, mod all done! got out there at 8am this morning to beat the rain, and finished it by 1030. by far the longest part of this was the grinding on the caliper, a little bit at a time to avoid grinding off too much. i also touched my flap wheel to the back side of the wheel where it was touching, less than 1/16 of an inch removed, and probably alot less than that.

brakes are bled, but the pedal just feels a tad soft, so ill probably rebleed after it pours rain for 4 days. also, i have quite a bit of pedal travel before the brakes engage, this is a rear drum problem correct?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    brakes are bled, but the pedal just feels a tad soft, so ill probably rebleed after it pours rain for 4 days. also, i have quite a bit of pedal travel before the brakes engage, this is a rear drum problem correct?
    Use the homemade power bleeder if you have access to a compressed air source.
    It will help alot with your currently mushy pedal.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Seanz0rz, don't fret, mine where soft too after they were first bled. A few days of driving though and now the pedal is nice and tight!
    2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

Thank you very much everyone for all the great info in this thread.

One quick question. Is the S13WE casting number the 199mm and the S13WL the larger 231?
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer_fan
    One quick question. Is the S13WE casting number the 199mm and the S13WL the larger 231mm?
    No, it's 13WL not S13WL, but otherwise you are correct.

actually ive found that the larger 231mm caliper has a casting number of 13wl, with no S at the front of it.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    actually ive found that the larger 231mm caliper has a casting number of 13wl, with no S at the front of it.
    Yes, you're right, I read it too fast.
    My answer got corrected above.

I did mine this last weekend. What an incredible difference.

The Calipers I bought were from Centrix remanfacturers. What a bunch of schmucks that place must be filled with, because they included the brake pad pins from a 4runner (1/4 TOO SHORT!!!) with the Tundra calipers.

I drove to 5 different locations in Souther California to finally purchase all 4 pins. Ended up having to buy them at 3 different Toyota dealers parts counters on a Saturday while my truck sat in pieces at my friends shop. Why Toyota sells these pins as single items when you'd think they'd be bought in pairs.

2 Junk yards refused to seperate them from the calipers
    Toyota of North Hollywood had 2 pins.
    Hamer Toyota in Mission Hills had 1 pin.
    Keyes Toyota in Van Nuys had 1 pin.

But I got it together easy.

Two things I noticed:
    I have the 5 spoke rims, and they did not rub on the calipers.
    My dust shield did not require any trimming to fit the caliper, only minor pushing back to prevent rubbing the rotor. It made a horrible scraping noise without doing so. A little mallet on ball-peen and that was taken care of.

You can read the full story here: http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4936

well last week i found a leak on my left caliper, coming from where the two halves meet at the top. noticed a nice puddle in my wheel... glad i caught it when i did.

took it off, had napa replace it, when i got the replacement tuesday, correct part number, correct box, caliper was stamped with a big R, DAMN. so they reordered, came in today, same thing, so they called around and for sure got me one, hopefully its right.

the leaky caliper would definitely explain the less than stellar pedal feel and the slight pulling to the right. it will all be fixed friday afternoon/evening.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast