Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    i loosened it when i did the rear drums, and never tightened it again, thats all... i really should get on that.
    Really?
    I never had to touch mine when I do rear brakes.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

it wasnt a necessity, i just sorta did it, then forgot to retighten
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

I have a couple quick question for you bema...and actually everbody else who knows, as I am planning to do this mod in a bit.

1) How difficult is it to rebuild a caliper, and did you just use a generic or Toyota kit?
    2) Are OEM calipers significantly better then lets say Raybestos ones?

Just trying to add some simplicity to my project.

TIA!

:Marko:<br />
    Supercharged[COLOR=Sienna] 98 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.4L<br />315cc Injectors :: 4&quot; Deckplate :: TrueFlow Air Intake System :: Magnaflow 18&quot; Muffler w/ Resonator<br />XM Sat Radio (Roady XT) :: Autometer Boost Gauge :: Color Keyed Spoiler<br />
    <br /><br />
    TOYOTA|moving forward

i didn't rebuild them. i bought them already rebuilt/refurbished.
    -andy

:great: write-up

is the slight wear on the inside of the rim a result of new calipers???
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Whats the word on this mod working on equal generation tacomas?
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

i wonder if the tundra calipers would clear the wheels i have now. with the stock 4runner ones, there is barely any clearance!

i have those generic d window wheels they sell at america's tire.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
    Whats the word on this mod working on equal generation tacomas?
    I have seen a few people do this on a Tacoma and it worked very well. Only trick is to drill out the end of the brake line bolt so it doesn't bottom out. Other than that the procedure is more or less identical to doing it on a 4runner.

Bolt should look like this:

Brake line also needs to be held in place while tightening:
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Wow what a great mod. I'm definitely game for this. The stock Taco brakes are the best brakes I've ever seen on a stock truck and upgrading to the larger style would be insane. This is awesome.

Oh I built a completely different rear suspension for my truck and have been to lazy to build an emergency brake system. If you have the V6 you shouldn't have to worry about the truck rolling anywhere if left in gear. The 4cyl might creep on you though when parked. After my new engine work I'll put a disc on the trans output shaft. Thanks for the brake info.

I agree about it being an awesome mod. With the way people drive around here, any help I can get stopping faster, the better.
    1996 4Runner Limited<br />Sonoran 1.2,315x70x17 Goodyear MTR/Kevlar, 4xInnovations Bumper,1&quot; Body Lift,Race Ace Louvers,Deck Plate Mod.... Always More To Come

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast