Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

what do you think about ceramic pads. They are suppose to be better all around(braking, wear, and noise) and with no brake dust. Plus they pretty cheap. I put the Reybestos Quiet Stop Ceramics in about 1000 miles ago and I'm lovin them. I never thought about rotor wear though? hopefully they won't kill my rotors.

So how much bigger are these than my 16" wheel option calipers? new rotors are needed as well or no?

Aaron
    I can, because I don't know that I can't.

they are wider, and use a pad that has more contact area. they also require new, wider rotors that have more mass (stronger and more heat sink so they won't warp like the originals)

also, i fixed the pics...
    -andy

I can't wait to do this on my 99 4runner!

Do you have exact part numbers you purchased?

I did the Tundra brake upgrade on my '00 Runner around Christmas time and this is by far the most impressive brake upgrade I have ever done (even compared to installing 13" rotors with 4 piston Wilwoods on my Supra)! Stopping power is nothing less than phenomenal and I get no fade after hard braking and no signs of warpage of the rotors. I installed rebuilt 199mm Tundra calipers, Brembo slotted, cross drilled rotors, Hawk HPS brake pads and SS lines. Friends that have driven my truck have commented that it is the best braking vehicle that they have ever driven. Not bad for a truck that I would have previously characterized as having the worst brakes of any vehicle that I have ever owned!

Highly recommended mod - for safety's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by bosco659
    I did the Tundra brake upgrade on my '00 Runner around Christmas time and this is by far the most impressive brake upgrade I have ever done (even compared to installing 13" rotors with 4 piston Wilwoods on my Supra)! Stopping power is nothing less than phenomenal and I get no fade after hard braking and no signs of warpage of the rotors. I installed rebuilt 199mm Tundra calipers, Brembo slotted, cross drilled rotors, Hawk HPS brake pads and SS lines. Friends that have driven my truck have commented that it is the best braking vehicle that they have ever driven. Not bad for a truck that I would have previously characterized as having the worst brakes of any vehicle that I have ever owned!

Highly recommended mod - for safety's sake!

-andy

Again, I ask for the exact model numbers, because there are like 7 different Tundra's to choose from when ordering on the web plus various years. Details your write-up doesn't include. Unless I'm totally blind and missed something in your write-up.

What year rotors? 4WD? 2WD? Is there a difference?
    What model pads? 4WD? 2WD? Again, is there a difference?
    What model Caliper?

looks easy so the rotors just pop off after you undo the claipers ?
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

Quote Originally Posted by 4RunAmok
    Again, I ask for the exact model numbers, because there are like 7 different Tundra's to choose from when ordering on the web plus various years. Details your write-up doesn't include. Unless I'm totally blind and missed something in your write-up.

What year rotors? 4WD? 2WD? Is there a difference?
    What model pads? 4WD? 2WD? Again, is there a difference?
    What model Caliper?
    you have every piece of info that you need to do the job...

Up front, i've ordered Tundra Brembo Rotors (plain face) from tirerack for $112 shipped.

I'll match up some OEM front pads from trdparts4u (about $60) along with some remanufactured calipers (199mm) from autozone ($140). the rear 4runner shoes (1999) and tundra 199mm front pads (for a 2001) were $109.61 online, shipped from strap22 on yotatech (phil at toyotapartsales.com).
    2001 Tundra Remanufactured Calipers from Autozone (two)
    2001 Tundra Brembo Rotors from Tirerack (two)
    2001 Tundra OEM Pads (199mm) from a dealer (one set)
    2001 Tundra Brake Pad Retaining Pins from a dealer (4)

part numbers change on a whim. giving part numbers might help NOW, but they may be wrong a year or two from now. also, a part number won't help anyone who goes to a salvage yard to look for the calipers.

no offense, but if you can't find what you're looking for with that info, then you don't have the technical ability to complete the job. i ordered pads from a 2001 Tundra from the dealer. common sense should tell you that everything else was for the same year since they have to match in order for them to work properly.

looking at this pic, you can see that the 2000-2003 model years are the same brake pads and same calipers. that would tell you that the year range that you're looking for.

-andy

Quote Originally Posted by Elton
    looks easy so the rotors just pop off after you undo the claipers ?
    Yes
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast