Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

wow really thats great i thought it would be like my 93 i had now i can fix the warped rotors my self
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    you have every piece of info that you need to do the job...

Up front, i've ordered Tundra Brembo Rotors (plain face) from tirerack for $112 shipped.

I'll match up some OEM front pads from trdparts4u (about $60) along with some remanufactured calipers (199mm) from autozone ($140). the rear 4runner shoes (1999) and tundra 199mm front pads (for a 2001) were $109.61 online, shipped from strap22 on yotatech (phil at toyotapartsales.com).
    2001 Tundra Remanufactured Calipers from Autozone (two)
    2001 Tundra Brembo Rotors from Tirerack (two)
    2001 Tundra OEM Pads (199mm) from a dealer (one set)
    2001 Tundra Brake Pad Retaining Pins from a dealer (4)

part numbers change on a whim. giving part numbers might help NOW, but they may be wrong a year or two from now. also, a part number won't help anyone who goes to a salvage yard to look for the calipers.

no offense, but if you can't find what you're looking for with that info, then you don't have the technical ability to complete the job. i ordered pads from a 2001 Tundra from the dealer. common sense should tell you that everything else was for the same year since they have to match in order for them to work properly.

looking at this pic, you can see that the 2000-2003 model years are the same brake pads and same calipers. that would tell you that the year range that you're looking for.
    I kinda thought that might sound like I was being a jerk, that really wasn't my intention.

I honestly didn't/don't know that the parts are the same for the various models of Tundra (2wd/4wd, v6/v8, etc..)

I was HOPING this was the case. I'm actually am pretty tech savvy, but when it comes to items I'm not informed upon, I like to do my homework.

It would suck to get the toys back home and realize that there's no difference than stock because I bought the 2WD vs the 4WD rotors and tried to put in the wrong size pads.

Please take my regrets for sounding like I meant YOU didn't provide proper info, I was just requiring more information than I needed.

Your work on this is very appreciated, I can assure you of that.

ok, thanks for the explanation and sorry for taking it the wrong way!

-andy

thanks 4runamok, I'm glad I didn't ask your question first. no, seriously, thanks bamachem for clearing that up, I tend to be pretty particular and love to have all the details but I guess that in this case, it's just that easy. great writeup!

I think that's exactly what this is, a case of "It just can't be that easy!" And it really is.

The only thing I'm left confused about is the wheel the did the scraping. Was this the 3-paired six spoke, or the 5 spoke star pattern?

it was a set of LX450 wheels.
    -andy

I finally got time to get all the parts to do the Tundra Caliper install this weekend.
    I'll try and take some before and after pics on mine too.

Did anyone ever try the spare tire to make sure it didn't contact the calipers?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Did anyone ever try the spare tire to make sure it didn't contact the calipers?
    ummmm, not the original stock one. mine is the same as the other 4 - LX450 wheels...
    -andy

So a simple recap.. Tundra Rotors, 199mm calipers and new pads is a simple bolt on and drive away procedue for our 4runners?

Yeehaw. Mine have bad shudder and I'd rather save up a bit more to do this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane
    So a simple recap.. Tundra Rotors, 199mm calipers and new pads is a simple bolt on and drive away procedue for our 4runners?
    Depending on what rims you're using you may have some grinding to do on the caliper, but it's not going to be much. Other than that, nope, it's a bolt on procedure for 3rd gen 4runners (using the Tundra Rotors, 199mm calipers and pads.....the 231mm calipers are a bit more work to get fitted).

You can see where Bamachem had to grind a bit in this pic:
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast