Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

yup..my LC (same as lx450) wheels rubbed abit on the calipers. had to grind down the calipers a bit. but when i rotated tires..the grinding came back but i didnt have a chance to hit the caliper with the grinder some more..so i just let the wheel 'self machine' lol. its the tinyest amount of rub, i wasnt to worried about it grinding itself clear of the caliper...
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

Quote Originally Posted by d0ubledown
    yup..my LC (same as lx450) wheels rubbed abit on the calipers. had to grind down the calipers a bit. but when i rotated tires..the grinding came back but i didnt have a chance to hit the caliper with the grinder some more..so i just let the wheel 'self machine' lol. its the tinyest amount of rub, i wasnt to worried about it grinding itself clear of the caliper...
    Can you explain to me what you mean by the LC and LX450 rims? I've seen that a few times now.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane
    Can you explain to me what you mean by the LC and LX450 rims? I've seen that a few times now.
    LC = Land Cruiser

This is a Lexus LX450 (Lexus' version of the LC.....notice the rims, same as Bamachem)
    [img width=800 height=600]http://www.spokanister.net/images_web/LX450_John/LX450-028.JPG[/img]
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Quote Originally Posted by firebane
    LC = Land Cruiser

This is a Lexus LX450 (Lexus' version of the LC.....notice the rims, same as Bamachem)
    [img width=800 height=600]http://www.spokanister.net/images_web/LX450_John/LX450-028.JPG[/img]
    funny..that LX acutallly has LC wheels on it?!? the LX wheels like bamachems have a slice down the 5 spokes. LC's dont.

firebane: hey..another BC'er! welcome man!

sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

those above are LC wheels, even the ones on the Lexus in that pic.

these are LX450 wheels... (they are the same as the LC wheels, but they have the painted groove down the middle of each spindle.)

-andy

ah thanks. definitely like those.

Guess I'll be starting to save up for this brake swap!

doubledown, yup I am

I did a test fit for my calipers today and it looks like the 199mm (S13WE) calipers clear every rim I'm running (stock 3 spoke alum, sport alum and the steel spare tire) with no grinding at all. The dust shield fits fine as well with no cutting so it looks like everyhting is a go for the weekend. I can't wait to see how well these will stop compared to the 4runner's old brakes (you can see how heavy duty they are when you pick an old/new rotor up in each hand). I managed to pull a dumbass move and just used a floor jack to hold up the front while I was working on the test-fit. The A-arm slid off the jack and stopped under the CV joint (which cut one of the inner boots). I probably needed to change the boots anyway since they had been slowly leaking since I did the lift, but it just sucks that I have to do it sooner instead of later. Anyway, lesson learned, always put your stuff up on jackstands before working on it!
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    I want to build one of GSGALLANT's cool brake bleeder setups so I don't do any more damage to my master cylinder by pumping the brakes manually (plus it makes it a one person job which is great).

Images don't work and whats this great brake bleeder?

For those of you considering this mod...

I did this mod 2 years (30,000 miles) ago for my 4Runner and about a year ago for the wife's 4Runner. There have been no issues to date (knock on wood) and I still have about 85% left on the pads for my truck. We have the stock 16" wheels and had no clearance issues with the S13WE (199mm) calipers. A little grinding on the dust shield for rotor clearance was the extent of the 'real work' I had to do. The mod is probably as simple as a brake job with a brake fluid flush. Really!

I put together a write-up but it seems to match what bama posted so I will save the repeat.
    2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 Sport<br />Mods: Crimestopper Remote Start Alarm - Deck Plate Mod - 400W Power Inverter - Limo Tint - K&amp;N Air Filter - Tundra Brakes/w PF Pads &amp; PowerSlot Rotors - Hayden Trans Cooler - Goodridge SS Brake Lines<br /><br />2000 4Runner LTD 4x4 - Wife&#039;s<br />Mods: Deck Plate Mod - Tundra Brakes - Goodridge SS Brake Lines

Ok, just got done doing the mod myself FINALLY and all I can say is WOW, the stopping power is incredible. My only gripe (as others had mentioned) is that the pedal goes down a bit further than before (which might indicate more caliper piston volume as we had suspected earlier when the validity of this mod was being debated.....I don't think there's any doubt now), but once it grabs, don't push too hard beyond that or you'll be kissing the dashboard in no time flat. Andy did a great job on the writeup so I'm not going to do much other than post more pics for people (since you can never have enough of those!). The job was very easy (esp with the power bleeder) and shouldn't take people more than 2 hours total using air tools. I also found that the power bleeder works best around 15-20 psi (I'm sure you could even go higher before you started having issues with the reservoir, but it's risky and not necessary to bleed the brakes well). No cutting, no grinding, just bolt on and go for a drive. Very impressive mod to say the least and well worth the time spent!

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast