Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1G 4runner sleeping platform

Re: 1G 4runner sleeping platform

I'm considering it finished for now since our move date is getting close. I didn't get to finish the sleeping platform part of it, but it'll be an easy add-on later.
    To cover it I was thinking outdoor carpet remnant or fabric till my wife spotted this at the home improvement big box store for a cheap $20 (really only needed 5' x 5')

It stretched by hand easily enough and I used 1/2" staples in the staple gun to attach it at all edges. Here's a close up of the cubby (just using a tether to open it) - virtually invisible isn't it?

Here's how the jerry can will strap down - I used a 2" ring from the big box store and a hoop on the other end of the nylon strap. I have a different strap that'll be just for the jerry can since the buckle can not be between the jerry can and the bed side (no room for it).

view through the rear window

with the tailgate open

Tie-downs are angled to prevent front/rear shift. I drilled a hole and welded the nut for each screw eye onto the roll bar since the front factory tie downs are completely inaccessible for use and the rears are covered by the Hi-Lift and the jerry can (I went with a 39" wide box, to use the factory front tie-downs, maybe 37" would be the ticket)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Here's my clearance on the top with the tailgate closed. If someone breaks the rear window they still won't be able to unlock the tailgate to get to anything in the cubbies.
    So, how do you open the tailgate? (do 1st gens have a handle on the outside?) I know mine can be a pain if my cargo shifts and covers up the handle. I had to fight my ice chest everytime I went to open my tailgate on one long roadtrip/camping trip we went on.
    My signature

The handle is actually just above the deck of the box so it can still be opened. I ended up moving the box forward just a bit anyway, so now there's ~ 1/2" for dirt to get down there (hoping I find a 12"x47"x1/2" thick cutting board to replace the rear carpet trim with )

Cool, that makes sense. Great job on the build so far. Any idea on the weight of the whole thing?
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Cool, that makes sense. Great job on the build so far. Any idea on the weight of the whole thing?
    I'm thinking 50-60 lbs -> for how bulky it is, I can still easily lift the thing in and out by myself

*Check your other thread man. Keep in touch, I'm short for online forum time these days so instead call us when and if you're in the area. If you're out here in time, I'll buy ya a b-day beer or dinner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12