Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1G 4runner sleeping platform

1G 4runner sleeping platform

I've been meaning to do this for awhile. Since we'll be moving west again in the not too distant future, and I'm hoping for alot more camping/relaxing than I've seen in the last 4 years, it was about time.

I started by measuring some of my camping gear. This gave me a base line for height and length that I might need - a few items won't fit, but they can be strapped down on top of the platform (like the cooler). You can see that alot of items measure close to 10 inches or half of that (stackable)

Here are the plans I'm working from (no fancy Sketch Up for me, this is on the back of an envelope). I'm not planning on drawers, but I can always add them, and if I do they will extend 1" past the tailgate (no need for overly beefy slides). I have ~26" of reach with one arm, so I can easily get to anything at the back. The front compartment is going to have a cut out lid for the less frequently used items (dashed line). I plan on using piano hinges for the sleeping leaves (seats down) and probably solid wood instead of plywood - I'm thinking of short hinged legs extending to the seat back to support the weight along its length, but I may have to go with legs to the floor if that doesn't work.

I used 1"x10" (5 - 4' boards)for the uprights and a single 4x8 sheet of 1/2" "project" plywood for the top and bottom (ignore the cubby divider, I didn't notice it was warped when I bought it - need to get a new one). Originally I was only gonna use the plywood for the top, so it would have only taken 1 sheet for the gear box and fold over sleeping leaves, but I decided to use plywood on the bottom to reinforce the uprights, keep them verticle and make sliding it in/out easier. The front bulkhead is angled to follow the seatbacks and will provide a lip for the sleeping leaves to rest on. The fold over leaves are split so I can still have one passenger in back if I want. I would have removed the rear seat behind the driver completely, except that we'll need the full length rear seat when we get another dog. All of the uprights are glued and screwed. The top will also be glued/screwed to the uprights, but the bottom will only be screwed. I This is where I'm at currently:

with the top on (I had to flip the Hi-Lift so the pins are facing left to fit the box in)

Jerry can fits perfectly here. I'm going to make a 3 legged strap specifically for the jerry can to hold it in place (both sides and one over the top).

Here's my clearance on the top with the tailgate closed. If someone breaks the rear window they still won't be able to unlock the tailgate to get to anything in the cubbies.

The next step is to weld 4 nuts onto the roll bar so I can install screw eyes and turn buckles to hold this down and keep it from moving (think sudden stops). I was thinking of using the factory forward tie downs, but this barely fits between the wheel wells, so there's not enough space to use them. I also need to borrow a 3/4" dado blade and make the uprights into 1/2 engineered I-Beams so I can raise the top 3/4" (or just sandwich 3/4" thick furring strips between the top and uprights) - I forgot that marked wood size is never actual size, so my 1"x10" uprights are actually 3/4"x9 1/4" which would make the sleeping leaves angle up towards the front in order to clear the top of the seat bottom. Final step will be a healthy coat of white oil based latex on the inside and some low pyle dark grey carpet to wrap it in.

So what does everyone think - am I off to a good start or missing something that can still be worked into the plans at this stage?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: 1G 4runner sleeping platform

looks pretty good.

i never got pictures of my platform, ill try to get some soon. i did not use a piece of wood on the bottom, just the stock carpet. i designed it to sit about an inch over the top of my ammo cans that i use for tools, etc, and those slide in nicely. my forward piece fits on top of the rear piece, and i have a 2x4 frame that supports it when deployed. it connects to the rear portion via two draw latches and sits on some extra plywood pieces to keep it all on the same level.

how are you planning on attaching the forward section that goes over the rear seats? what will support it? how will you tie things down that sit on top of it?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    how are you planning on attaching the forward section that goes over the rear seats? what will support it? how will you tie things down that sit on top of it?
    The leaf will be piano hinged (about 1" clearance to the roof when folding it back) and fold back to cover the front compartment. The rear of the leaf will rest on top of the forward compartment wall. In transit with the rear seats up I'll probably use a strap to keep the leaves from bouncing and making noise.

I'm not really sure about anything on top of the leaf while traveling - if anything, probably just lighter stuff like packs, clothing, etc. The only things I want on top of the platform are things that I wouldn't feel bad about leaving outside at night.

It's a pretty long unsupported span for 1/2" wood (28") if I only use legs on the front, plus most of my upper body weight will be on the leaf if I sleep head forward (which is easiest for crawling in/out). So I'm thinking 2 hinged full length longitudinal (front-back) 1x10's on the outside edges that'll rest on the seat back. The front edge will just clear the seat bottom latch. I was also thinking about a cut out on the leaf support towards the middle of the vehicle for rear passenger access to anything that's under there.

are you sure it will fold forward? i tried with mine and could not get it to do so.

i should also add mine can also only be used with the seat bottoms removed. my justification for this was if i was sleeping in the truck, there would be a max of 2 people going.

are you going to add tie down rings to the main box to tie down your ice chest, etc? thats something i never got around to doing on mine.

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

hells yeah! a sleeping platform has been the most enjoyable thing ive done to the truck. you can sleep like a king while others battle wind and rattlesnakes in there tents. best part is you roll up and take out the lawn chars and your done. i will also try to take some pics at pismo. i went the minimalist route. 4runners unite! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    are you sure it will fold forward? i tried with mine and could not get it to do so.
    From my preliminary measurements I should be able to, but I'll only have ~1" to spare between the leaf and the roof when flipping it. I should probably grab a piece of wood and verify that it'll work before I get ahead of myself. If that doesn't work, I can still attached the leaves with a pin/barrel arrangement and they'll make nice mini tables for the tailgate with the full length legs

i should also add mine can also only be used with the seat bottoms removed. my justification for this was if i was sleeping in the truck, there would be a max of 2 people going.
    Yeah, with the space I have there won't be any 3-somes going on in the back of my truck either. I like having the option of taking a 3rd person with though and just tossing their tent out of the back of the truck.

are you going to add tie down rings to the main box to tie down your ice chest, etc? thats something i never got around to doing on mine.
    Definately - I was thinking 4 on each side spaced 10" apart. I'm just not sure if I want to use screw eyes (with a nut and fender washers) or a hinged d-ring. I think the d-ring might be stronger and less prone to rotate on a side pull

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    hells yeah! a sleeping platform has been the most enjoyable thing ive done to the truck. you can sleep like a king while others battle wind and rattlesnakes in there tents. best part is you roll up and take out the lawn chars and your done. i will also try to take some pics at pismo. i went the minimalist route. 4runners unite! lol
    That's what I'm saying + I've heard platforms are warmer in the winter since you stay off the metal floor. I'm also trying to figure out how to put a secure mesh / expanded steel piece in the side window if I have it open to keep the serial rapists/murderers from reaching in and slitting my throat while I sleep. I thought about a piece that fits in the sliding window run channel, but I may end up drilling the shell to install studs and wing nuts for attachement - not sure yet.

neato. ....I didnt even know 1st gen 4runners came with a split rear seat. lol. My '84 only has a rear bench. Between my roll cage and the 14" bob, there is ZERO chance of ever sleeping in the back of the 4runner for me, and The taco isn't a great choice for a platform either, as its a D-cab so it has a short bed.... SOme day I really want to build a platform system in something though. lol.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Looks good so far Keith!

You 4runner guys are lucky.. That beats my high tech sleeping platform any day...
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

I used 1x2's to space the top up the 3/4" that I needed, these also help tie the uprights together.

I added d-ring tie downs on both sides along with eyelets on the right side for the jerry can strap. There's also 1 d-ring in the center of the front board. For the jerry can tie down I'm making a simple nylon strap with a hoop in one end (for the eyelet) and a round ring on the other. The ring will reach the middle of the jerry can so I can take a simple strap from the other eyelet, through the ring and over the top to attach it to the deck surface - the straps will form an upside-down "T"

Cut out door for the front compartment. The opening is 21" x 10" which is big enough that I can sneak my double burner Coleman camp stove, propane and sleeping bags and forget about them. The rear edge of the door rests on the lateral upright and the front is getting a piano hinge, though there are supports on all 4 sides (helps reduce flex around the door).

tomorrow it'll get a thick coat of oil based paint before I glue and screw the top on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast