Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norcal Trip Pics

Re: Norcal Trip Pics

We're running out of good condition skids to use as templates for a homemade one. I'm thinking that if and when I take mine off to fix it, if I should take measurements and mock up some cardboard. I noticed the legs on my skid have a S profile now.

eh, just pop the skid off, and beat it with a hammer. worked great for me.

give me 10 bucks and ill do it for you at pismo!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

or just take it to Sillyfab in Rancho cordova. He can make you a 3/16 steel one for like 150-200 bucks probably.
    1992 Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0 V6 5 Speed - It's Modified.

http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/

or that one... 400 is a bit much, but its on my list if i get alot of extra cash.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The skid can be pounded no problem, the problem is the large dents in the tank. I think at least 3 of us have tank dents.

I can make one fairly easily. I'll look into making my stock one stronger as I don't want the weight or price of an aftermarket one. Material is expensive so even making one will get up there in price before it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz

No Pismo this year. For the most part I did this trip instead of Pismo. The dunes are fun but after a few time there I more than got my fill. Plus it's pretty far for us and we have a lot here that we don't get to do that often.

I'm adding a Budbuilt skid plate + belly pan. its a heavy piece of steel... It'll be on there before the pismo trip.
    1992 Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0 V6 5 Speed - It's Modified.

When I finally got around to getting mine straightened, I added some 1.5" angle iron on the bottom lengthwise. The way I see it. I probably still have a 1/2" extra clearance over the 4Runner tanks..
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba

When I finally got around to getting mine straightened, I added some 1.5" angle iron on the bottom lengthwise. The way I see it. I probably still have a 1/2" extra clearance over the 4Runner tanks..
    I have a bunch of small angle at home and was thinking about adding it lengthwise. I know this will stiffen it up some but only in one direction. Let's call it the hotdog direction. What about the hamburger direction (sorry just something I remember from a kid. Hamburger folds and hotdog folds)?

I think that if you lay it on a rock or a rock punches up it'll still fold length wise.

Oh and MaK92, you don't need belly and gas tank skids for sand.

I checked car-part.com and there are literally 2,850 3rd gen fuel tanks for sale in the U.S...hundreds of them for sale for $50. (Click on page 35 of 57, for example, for the $50 ones.) I don't think I'm too worried about mine--the chances that I smash it so bad that I can't get home are low.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast