Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Goodbye Goldmember...a new beginning

Re: Goodbye Goldmember...a new beginning

Yes nice purchase. Did you end up putting air bags on the rear of your 3rd gen? I think there was some talk when you were getting the trailer. It will be interesting to see if the bumper weighs down the rear much. My stock springs are a little flat and I run 15 psi in my bags all the time. With weight in the rear or a trailer it's a bit stiffer than I like.

Not yet, I am still thinking about it...I really need them when I pull the pop-up
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

I see you have the 1.2 lift. Didn't the older versions of that lift come with 2 spring choices? One being the 8 wrap? You have the bilstiens so I guess it's not the early years with the trekmasters. If you're interested in getting stiffer or taller coils and need a buyer for the coils you have now, let me know, I'm in the market. If you get new coils the air bags can be put in at the same time. Two birds, one wrench.

Got the bumper painted and installed...very nicely built and fits good. I am not sure if I will remove my BL or not. The gap doesnt bother me much at this point.

Put a fresh coat on the front bumper and sliders too...

Looks good! Now let's wheel the thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc P
    The gap doesn't bother me much at this point.
    Just do like I did and paint the lower rear quarter behind the bumper black. It'll look a lot better.

Thought about that...the 3rd gens have a vent on the drivers side that the 2nd gens dont have...that is the main thing I want covered as it looks bad

You can see it in this pic..

What kind of plastic is it? I know I've dyed white plastic using a light boiling water, some RIT dye and vinegar and salt. Tried that? Might see if a wrecker has a piece you can try it out on. Usually it works best w/ nylon plastics, but I've had decent success with other light colored plastics too.

http://www.ritdye.com/diy-projects/o...s/dyed-buttons

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=22856.0

Krylon also makes this stuff called "Fusion" a couple customers I know used: http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

the kyrlon fusion stuff works well.

otherwise, you can try vinyl dye. it should have no problem changing the color of the plastic.

fyi, the plastic is probably a -PE derivative, which means most stuff wont stick to it. ive tried rustoleum plastic primer on HDPE and it worked and flexed great. the top coat needs to be flexible as well.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456