Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Envy 14

HP Envy 14

I'm almost ready to get this laptop.. Just have to wait for fall semester to start(student money).

I was pretty psyched about it because I can get 10% off with student discount. Plus my laptop is really old, and has seen better days. Then I remembered something about Bing cash back.. which would give me 30% off! But they're no longer doing it! I found info saying sometimes early in the day it'll show up on Bing. With that much of a discount I could really spec out the laptop for a reasonable price.

Anyone seen these in person? I've read review after review, and videos galore on youtube. I can't wait...

Navigator

Re: HP Envy 14

I think one of the guys on here just bought one a month or so ago... i cant remember who though. He got it with dual SSDs, 16gb ram, etc
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Ah nice...

I wish I could have been in the market a month earlier. Bing was doing 30% cashback. I configured the 14 I want out with the fastest i5 they offer (skipping out on i7 for battery sake), 6gig ram, and a SSD.. was like $1908, but cash back on it was nearly 600$. They stopped that on 7.31.2010 from what I read. Someone said that offer still pops up early in the day sometimes.. so I'm hoping I see it once I have the $$.

Otherwise I'll be using my 10% student discount... no SSD..and 4gig ram. Still sticking with the core i5-520 though.

I have the Envy 15. Slightly different animal than the 14, but I'm sure pretty similar. What do you want to know?
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Navigator

ah, it was you Cebby.. i knew i remembered reading bout someone getting an Envy.. :-P
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    I have the Envy 15. Slightly different animal than the 14, but I'm sure pretty similar. What do you want to know?
    Does your have one of the radiance screens? How do you like it? It's going to cost $300 extra for a that option, but I really want a good screen.

Does the 15 have the 'beats audio'? The reviews say it's pretty good.. but do they just mean it's good for a laptop, or does it actually sound good?

Yes - I have the radiance screen - for normal use it's way too bright (I have it turned way down), but it has plenty of brightness to use outside in sunlight.

I didn't get the Beats Edition (only could get up to 8 gb ram), but mine has the Beats audio. It sounds OK - much better than my old one. It's good for a laptop, but didn't knock my socks off - they are small internal speakers... The one thing that's annoying is that the HDMI out (audio part) doesn't get loud enough on my external monitor when using it's speakers, so I've reverted to either using the laptop speakers or headphones.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Yes - I have the radiance screen - for normal use it's way too bright (I have it turned way down), but it has plenty of brightness to use outside in sunlight.

I didn't get the Beats Edition (only could get up to 8 gb ram), but mine has the Beats audio. It sounds OK - much better than my old one. It's good for a laptop, but didn't knock my socks off - they are small internal speakers... The one thing that's annoying is that the HDMI out (audio part) doesn't get loud enough on my external monitor when using it's speakers, so I've reverted to either using the laptop speakers or headphones.
    That's kinda nice I guess. Even when not in direct sunlight this screen is hard to see sometimes. I have to turn slightly away from the window.

Oh, yeah that's what I meant. I didn't know if the 13's and 15's had 'Beats Audio.' I've got no interest in the actual Beats Edition. I figured they weren't 'that' great. I'm sure there a step up from the ones on my current laptop though, so that's nice.

Were you able to do the Bing CashBack on yours? At one point near the end of the BCB program it was @ 30% cash back for HP's website. If that was still going on I would definitely grab an SSD, but now I'm just going to stick with the smallest HD option, and upgrade to SSD later. Same with ram.. going to just keep the 2x2gb, and upgrade to 2x4gb later. I shouldn't need that much.. so I should be good on that front.

I know someone who works for HP, so I got it on their EPP.

To change to SSD from regular drives, you'll need some sort of bracket (and cable?).

Search here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/

Dang, that's nice. How much is the EPP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast