Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th gen 4Runner: V8 vs V6

4th gen 4Runner: V8 vs V6

Hey all,

So, I'm thinking about buying a 4th gen 4Runner for my next vehicle, and I wanted to get your advice on the engine choices I have. I always told myself that if I bought a 4th gen, I would get it with the V8. However, now that I'm seriously considering one, the practical side of me is saying to get a V6. The V8 is a proven motor and is just plain cool. The V6 gets better gas mileage, and the part-time tcase is a major plus IMHO.

So, a few questions for you all:

1) What kind of gas mileage do you guys with the V8 get?
    2) What kind of gas mileage do you guys with the V6 get?
    3) Is the non vvti version of the 2uz an interference motor? (I know the vvti version is, but I'm not sure if the 2uz is like the 1uz where, AFAIK, the non vvti version is not an interference motor.)
    4) Does the timing chain on the 1GR have regular service intervals?

I drove slosurfer's dcab taco a few years ago, and I was impressed with 1GR's power. Way better than my 3.0. However, the extra torque from the v8 would be really nice.

Anyways, I just wanted to get you all's opinions. Thanks.

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: 4th gen 4Runner: V8 vs V6

Honestly having driven both and as cool as the V8 is to have, unless you are towing a decent size trailer (ie more than 4,000 lbs) regularly I would stick with the 4.0L V6. Gas mileage is about 25% better, the timing chain has 3x the service interval of a timing belt, the all aluminum block/heads make it much less likely to blow a head gasket versus the iron/aluminum combo on the V8 and the oil filter position makes changing the oil a joke. There is plenty of torque for most people in the 1GR and it's far more practical to have as a DD. Just my $0.02 though.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Over the past 8 months my 2007 V6 has averaged 19.9 mpg with a mix of regular and premium gas. So far my study has shown no difference in mpg between regular and premium.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Navigator

i agree with Jamie - the only reasons to get the v8 are really for hauling duties... the 4.0 puts out more power than most people would ever need,

and just imagine how much that 25% better gas mileage will save you when u finally drive your own truck out here for the Pismo Jambo
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

My 06 V6 gets about 17 city and 21 hwy. This is with a small lift and slightly larger tires.

I love this engine, besides the annoying tick, it is really powerful and very smooth. Just make sure you get a 4runner with the 5-spd trans and you'll be good to go
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Thanks for the input guys! Just what I needed. I think the V6 is the way to go.

Jamie, good point about the aluminum block. I don't plan on towing much, except for maybe a small U-Haul trailer. The V6 would pull that fine.

Steve, was your fuel mileage calculation based on highway or city driving? I get 21-22mpg with my 2nd gen averaging 65mph on premium gas. I'd like to get as close to that as I can with a 4th gen.

Kevin, I would love to drive out to Pismo sometime. I'd really like to spend 3-4 months just traveling the U.S. Our family did it for 4 years back when I was younger, and I'm really getting the itch to see the U.S. again.

Lee, how common is the tick you are talking about? Is that just valve tick, or the pinging issue that someone brought up in another thread?

So, I guess the trick now is to find a lower mileage '05+ 4Runner for under 13 grand. Preferably a '06+ Sport, but that might not be feasible.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

19.9 mpg is my average for all my driving which includes a daily 30 minute commute on surface streets and long trips here and there. And this is based on gas fill ups, not the computer.

I'm not sure which engine I'd get now. The power of the V6 is plenty, especially coming from a 2nd gen 4runner 3.0. However, the V8 is bombproof plus I'm thinking of getting a popup trailer. Sure the V6 would tow it just fine, but it would be nice to have a V8 in that case.

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

The tick is on all the 4.0's. It isn't a ping it's just a tick it makes while running. Totally normal operation but if you are stopped by a wall or something w your windows down it's annoying
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

IMHO, if your concerned about fuel mileage, but a Honda, that being said, Ive got the V8 and absolutly LOVE it, with it loaded down, cargobox.sleeping platform, recovery gear, etc etc, I can do 85 up the mnt. passes if I want to, no problem, If I had to do if over again, Id get another V8 without doubt, as Im sure IF, I go with 35s, I wont have to regear, or thats the word on t120 site, lol
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Ric, do you know what your fuel mileage is with the V8?

I don't plan on running 35s, but maybe 33s. And that would be a few years down the road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast