Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th gen 4Runner: V8 vs V6

Re: 4th gen 4Runner: V8 vs V6

to be honest, no, I really dont, I did check it out when I first got it, but cant remember what the number was, lol, I always keep that computer thing on the "range" but remember, from my understanding, the gas out here (Denver) is different than most, we have Oxygenated fuel, I dont know what it is or what that means, lol a few people have told me that
    Oh, and I do drive mine like a V8
    I remember looking at the V8s and a couple sales reps said "there isnt much difference in the mileage to worry about, if you want a V8, get it, we have both, the V6 and the V8"
    I was going to get the V8 regaurdless, lol
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

if you care about gas mileage get a honda? hahah

ric, sorry man but there is quite a difference between v8 and v6 gas mileage (unless you drive like a madman in which case you're screwed either way!). I drove both before buying a V6 equipped 4Runner and while the V8 grunt is nice and certainly fun, if you aren't in desperate need of that torque (towing, big tires), then the V6 is plenty powerful and gets much better mileage, esp in the city (which is where I drive a majority of the time).

the V6's mileage is great for what it is, but it's no picnic. If I had a V8 I can imagine I'd be spending much more on gas than I do now, and since I never tow anything and don't anticipate that changing, I'd rather go with the better mileage V6 which I find to be more than enthusiastic off the line

I'd guess if you measured your mileage you wouldn't be near my 17-21 results.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

true,, but the bottom line is, we are talking about big heavy SUVs, so to worry about gas mileage, IMHO is just plain silly, if that was a factor, Id be driving a honda or something like it, lol
    Just my .02

I'm kinda torn because I've got a v8 but my mpg is horrible... But I brought that upon myself so I am the only one to blame. I suspect if I didn't touch anything I'd be getting at least 13-16ish? (no clue honestly since it didn't stay stock for more than a few weeks).

As for the mpg battle, I'd say Ric does have a point about the mpg being a moot point since you're pushing something heavy down the highway but in all of the v6 owners defense I will note that I'm surprised at the collective numbers I've seen over the years on the near 20mpg pushing the brick. Never did I thought I'd see any suv get a decent mpg. I mean I drive my 2000 v6 accord and that thing barely gets 21mpg (I drive a lot of city streets) so when you think about how the v6 4runners gets close to 20mpg it really does make you think twice and go hhmmmmm maybe I'm driving the wrong car!!!

If the 100 series got me close to 20mpg I'd get that over my current daily driver

Dan, here's something to keep in mind w/ the 4th gens...
    v6 - make sure you get the 5 A/T (05-09)
    v8 - I think the vvti came out in 05 so I'd say get that one cuz it's "suppose" to be better. Not sure why but eh, I don't think you can go wrong w/ the 03-04 or the 05-09.

Screw the 4th gens... get the 5th gen! :P and if you want the v8 then get the GX version of the 5th gen!! woot woot It's only money right?

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

hey all, today after talking about this (MPG)all my running around today, both city and highway, the way I drive and all my recovery gear/cargobox I averaged 18MPG... I was watching that little computer thing, lol

Im pretty sure, at a lower elevation and not having all the gear thats in my rig 24/7 it would be alot better, and PLEASE dont take my comments about "if your worried about gas mileage, buy a Honda" comments personal, I know that we all want the 4runners/SUVs but also want as good as mileage as possible, I personally never worried or even cared...

Im looking at getting a new or new 09 either Infiniti G37 or Nissan 370Z to be completely honest all the research Ive done so far, I havent even glanced at the MPGs, doesnt matter to me, lol

Thanks for the input guys.

Someday, when I have a garage and more money, I'd like to build a "105" series Land Cruiser. 1HD-TE turbo diesel, 5 speed manual trans, and 80 series axles; all wrapped in a 100 series body. Or maybe build up a 70 series troop carrier. Then I'd have a manual IS300 or IS250 as a DD.

Unfortunately, that someday isn't now, and I know trying to find a fuel efficient SUV may sound contradictory, but I believe that is the best compromise. And I think the 4Runner is the most reliable option.

I'd also consider a '99 or '00 5spd 4Runner, but finding one with low enough miles has been really hard. The '05+ dcab Taco is another option, but those seem to be above my price range. The 4th gen seems to be the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times

If the 100 series got me close to 20mpg I'd get that over my current daily driver

Dan, here's something to keep in mind w/ the 4th gens...
    v6 - make sure you get the 5 A/T (05-09)
    v8 - I think the vvti came out in 05 so I'd say get that one cuz it's "suppose" to be better. Not sure why but eh, I don't think you can go wrong w/ the 03-04 or the 05-09.

Screw the 4th gens... get the 5th gen! :P and if you want the v8 then get the GX version of the 5th gen!! woot woot It's only money right?
    Thanks for the info Lance. If I get a V6, I'll for sure try to find a '05+. For the V8, it doesn't really matter to me. There are pros and cons to both variations of the motor. AFAIK, the older 2uz is a non-interference motor, but I think the newer one with vvti puts out more power.

I would love a 5th gen, but can't afford one and I don't want car payments. I really don't like being tied down with payments. Right now, I don't owe anybody anything, and I can literally make two phone calls (cancel my phone service and car insurance) and move anywhere in the world within 48 hours. Just the way I like it. Maybe in 5 or 6 years I can pick up a used 5th gen. That would be awesome.

The GX460 has some nice features, but it's pretty ugly. If only Toyota put that V8 in the 4Runner.

Anyways, thanks again for the input guys. More thoughts are always welcome.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I agree, either way your going to be happy

Thanks Ric, I appreciate all your input.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    I averaged 18MPG... I was watching that little computer thing, lol
    Yeah, but subtract about 2-3 mpg from the computer and you'll get the true reading.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast