Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4th gen 4Runner: V8 vs V6

Re: 4th gen 4Runner: V8 vs V6

are they that off ? Im still running stock size tires
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Yeah thats what I've found and mine's completely stock. I would love to be getting the 22 that my computer says it's getting.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Ric, sorry man I didn't mean to make it sound like you were being a jerk at all I was just saying that mpg's DO factor in, in that for someone like me (mostly city driving, a-to-b, no towing), a V6 makes total sense and the improved gas mileage is a significant cost factor for me in that I am sure running at 13-17mpg vs 16-20+ would have an impact.

glad to hear your truck did well on the mpg's the computer in the truck drives me nuts bc if i reset it while im on the hwy for a half hour drive, it'll tell me i am averaging 25-26 mpg which is awesome to see, but it takes forever for it to average in the time off the highway thereafter.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Oh no, Lee, I didnt take it that way all...
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Just to give a little .02 input.
    I was talking to Dan about this in the chat the other day.

Guys here have been using the 4.0 to tow the trail rigs to and from the trails here all the time.
    One guy has an 05 4Runner he uses to tow his 1st gen on 37s on a trailer through the hills of PA to the park and back home, I know his route and even my modified 4Runner with the 3.4 seems to have issues....
    Another guy has an 05 Double cab that he tows his pickup on 37s every weekend to the park and does it just fine and he is on a trailer too.

The 4.0 has plenty of power to tow, and then when your not towing has the gas mileage you need around town....

A bit late to this thread, but I have an 06 4R V8 nowadays and get a little over 300 miles to the tank in the winter here.

I like the sound of the vvti on a fairly regular basis, so the mileage could be quite a bit better.
    My wife used to get better mileage with it (20-30 mile per tank I guess).

I don't really care for the milage, don't drive that much nowadays.
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Thanks for the input arjan.

I should probably update this thread.

I'm no longer in the market for a 4th gen. I picked up a 2000 4Runner 5spd a few months back, and I'll probably just drive this for 5 years or so, then buy a used 5th gen or Tacoma.

I really appreciate everybody's input! You all are great! Thanks!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Someone on this forum told me exactly what to get, a 2004 V8 SR5. I ended up with that exact model (except mine was a Sport w/ the XREAS suspension). I got this specifically so I can take my truck off-roading. I remember when I was contemplating my Taco between 2x or 4x and got the 2x because it made "more sense" at the time. Well, I ended up trading it in for the V8 4X. I now try to get what I will NOT regret later on. V8 might get a little worse gas, but I will never complain about the performance. DONE. (but then again, it's also not my daily driver!

Just think about what your ultimate goal is for the truck. If you think you'll possibly modify it with larger wheels and accessories, I'd go with the V8.

kafene.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

I'm no longer in the market for a 4th gen. I picked up a 2000 4Runner 5spd a few months back
    I wonder when these 3rd gens will become collector's items.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123