Thread: 3rd Brake Light Flashers

3rd Brake Light Flashers

Now this mod will be love it or hate it. If you hate it, then don't be behind me. This is for safety, and I bought the least annoying kit I could.

Here is my review and install notes of the KAHTEC Blinking Smart Stop Delay model 3rd brake flasher. Their website can be found HERE

Here are the basics of the device:
    It flashes 6 times in 3 seconds when brakes are applied, after it stays solid.
    If you release the pedal and reapply within 8 seconds, it will not flash again.
    If you release the pedal and reapply after 8 seconds, it will flash again.

The idea is to alert the car behind you that you are stopping and to pay attention. I know I have personally come very close to being rear ended by people not paying attention several times, once just a few days ago.

Here is what comes in the kit:
    The module itself, 3 quick taps, and instructions.

Here are the tools I used:

Here is the installation how-to:
    First, you may wish to disconnect your battery. I rarely do for these types of things, but it may be a good idea

Remove the driver side cargo interior panel. to do this, you must remove the cargo light, upper trim, sill plate, and dog leg piece next to the rear seat back.

With the interior pieces out of the way, find the bundle of wires going up to the rear hatch. Unwrap and find the Green/White wire (or for other models, the positive brake wire).

Cut this wire. The Blue wire of the module goes towards the 3rd brake light, the red to the source of current for the light. The black wire goes to ground, or the White/Black wire. Make sure to shrink wrap the connections, or at least use good quality electrical tape. I choose to solder my connections rather than use the quick taps, either way is fine.

Here it is all installed:

The result is a flashing 3rd brake light that should be an extra step in alerting drivers to your change in velocity.

Here is a video, CLICK TO PLAY:

Now, I don't mind a friendly discussion on this mod. If you hate it, tell us why. If you love it and want one installed on your vehicle, hopefully this small writeup will help you.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: 3rd Brake Light Flashers

I've seen this on motorcycles and ambulances. It is very helpful because the flashing does alert you.

My question is, is this completely legal in California? I'm just don't need another reason to get pulled over

from what i can find, its not illegal. although in my experience, that never stops the cops from actually pulling you over anyway.

new mercs have it, although theirs is based on a trial period or something like that.

the only way i could see it as illegal would be because its a flashing red light, which are illegal. however, it only flashes 6 times in 3 seconds, which i find it hard to believe that could ever be confused with an emergency flasher.

also, most cops are going to bother with a 30 dollar fix it ticket. they rather go after the guys with suspended regs, or reckless driving.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I've seen one or two CA dealers install this at time of sale as a "safety" option. I believe they also gave some kind of paperwork with a guarantee that if you were rear ended, the company would pay the deductible (not sure on the details, something like that).

I think it's a good idea, since the regular brake lights aren't flashing I see no harm in it. Now if a LEO is looking to pull you over anyway, it might be the excuse he needs.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

the stretch of freeways i drive are well known for 80+ MPH to dead stop in curves and on blind hills. a couple of weeks ago i had someone nearly rear end me so bad, he swerved into the left emergency lane and continued on for another 3 car lengths past the rear of my vehicle before coming to a stop. that was the final straw...

ill try it out on the 4runner for a while, then i might buy more for our other vehicles. my truck is also going to get the LED bulb improvement soon as well. im trying to do as much as i can to prevent myself from being hit.