Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 20130517-19...The Whole 'bernardino

Re: long term planing... the 'bernardino run

sorry scuba, i think im done bashing my truck on the rocks all the time. doesnt mean i wouldnt do the trail (ive never done it east to west, same with gold mountain or dishpan). id be more inclined to do jb i have new gears or new tires by then.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

hmm jacoby canyon....that actualy figures in great! its gonna make for a super long day though haha.

oh and that brings up a good discussion. including rattlesnake will make for a better run but dump participants out in lucerne valley. going the rest of the way to yucca valley will be just dirt roads and a drive through pioneer town.

the other thing is the lytle creek divide road. id have to check and make sure its not gated. its super easy id bet but it should have nice veiws.

the other tricky part is fitting these all in withing three days and concluding each day at a camp site without backtracking

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    oh and that brings up a good discussion. including rattlesnake will make for a better run but dump participants out in lucerne valley. going the rest of the way to yucca valley will be just dirt roads and a drive through pioneer town.

the other thing is the lytle creek divide road. id have to check and make sure its not gated. its super easy id bet but it should have nice veiws.

the other tricky part is fitting these all in withing three days and concluding each day at a camp site without backtracking
    plan for two major trails a day. for example, Cleghorn, Pilot Rock, 2n17x and willow creek can be completed in one, VERY LONG day. that leaves us right around the beginning of dishpan, im not aware of any camps there, but maybe we can find a primitive site or the like.

from there we can run dishpan and white mountain, and john bull for another very long day. we could then camp at holcomb valley camp, thats a bit of a back track though. then the last day do gold mountain, jacoby canyon and out to yucca valley.

i vote skip white mountain and jacoby canyon. white mountain is boring, jacoby is awesome but a bit out of the way (since its basically north of gold mountain, requiring a return trip on the highway or going back up gold mountain.

ill post more tonight.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I want to come along! Maybe I'll be able to drive by then.
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

Troy, We've done Cleg, Pilot (2n17X), and Dishpan all in one day. If we didn't stop for 1/2 hour at the end of cleg as well as about 1.5 hours to help Jamie change a CV we would have been done with Dishpan by 6. And that spits you out into crab flats I believe. We could make it over to the big campsite we had during TTORA BB09 near holcomb valley. The next morning we would have to back track maybe 1 mile to get to JB west, exit that and head to gold mountain. After gold we could head to Tip Top and camp. Then do Pontiac, and rattlesnake the next day...

Moral of the story, its not hard to do Cleg, pilot and dishpan in one day. Provided we don't have any long hold ups.

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

i hear ya but tacking on 1.5 hours for lytle divide may be out and a large turn out of new drivers/break downs may make dishpan a all day affair. looks really like theres no way around long days, but shifting trails should balence it better. also two groups will help with getting everyone through. just a hour between groups will make it all flow better. thinking of a faster group behind so everyone bunches up at the end of the days runs

Navigator

sounds good to me... also sounds like i want to bring at least 2 spare cv's :-P. iv gotten pretty fast at changing them though, with the Aisin hubs i dont have to remove those damn cone washers anymore!
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

and limiting straps and no-more wheel/droop/turn/skinny pedal haha. that and we will adjust your throttle so it dosnt go past 1/4 open

http://www.expeditionportal.com/over...Johnson_Valley

ExPo has some information. that particular trail has holcomb creek on it. that trail will be closed until at least memorial day, so we probably wont hit it this time around.

ive been up on alot of the roads near lytle creek, i wasnt impressed. nice views but otherwise just graded dirt roads, much like 3n16. im not sure if these are the same roads you are referring to though, its been about 4 years since i was up there.

if we could make the end of dishpan by day 1, that would be huge. from there john bull and gold mountain, though not sure where we could camp from there besides round valley or juniper springs group camps.

i would prefer campgrounds. alexus isnt super keen on the bucket idea...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast