Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cheap dual band mobile coming to market. game changer?

cheap dual band mobile coming to market. game changer?

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=266831

the company is Chinese and they have already turned out some highly praised hand held radios for 1/3 the price of their Japanese equivalents. these rigs would be perfect for socal where we have so many 440 repeaters. if the price is as cheap as expected they may be a no-brainer buy.

Re: cheap dual band mobile coming to market. game changer?

It should be interesting. There are a couple of chinese handhelds that have caught my eye mostly because of price. One think I have heard about regarding these products is usability and difficulty in programming. But for a dual band with detachable face at a cheap price it may be worth it.

Navigator

if its that cheap i may just buy one to communicate with you guys..
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

hopefully its in the 125-150ish range, but time will tell. thats still on the steap side for a comperable high end CB, but at least it closes the gap to where people may give some thought to ham for there first comunications purchase.

this radio(given that it lives to the hype) along with a el-cheapo hand held CB would be a combo thats hard to beat for the average wheeler.

Definitely picking this up when it comes out! Thanks for the heads up!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

somebody bump this when it comes out

I'm too lazy to read it, but does it have APRS capability?
    My signature

havnt heard anything about APRS, but i really havnt heard much people using it

when you say Dual band, you mean CB and HAM radio in one unit ????
    if so, Id seriously think about getting that...
    The only reason I have CB over HAM now, most people use a CB as its cheaper, no license, blah blah blah
    and I dont want more junk in the cab area, heck I wint to get rid of what I have now, lol
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

dual band as in 2m and 70cm in one radio and with one antenna.

as far as i have researched, there is no unit combining both. and honestly i wouldnt want one, it would likely do each poorly.

i prefer CB because it is idiot proof, but will be using both soon (as soon as i get my ham reinstalled and learn how to use it)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    when you say Dual band, you mean CB and HAM radio in one unit ????
    if so, Id seriously think about getting that...
    The only reason I have CB over HAM now, most people use a CB as its cheaper, no license, blah blah blah
    and I dont want more junk in the cab area, heck I wint to get rid of what I have now, lol
    The FCC won't allow CB (non-license) to be combined with Ham (License required) in a single transceiver. In this case, dual band means 2m and 70cm Ham bands in a single unit. In addition, I heard this can also do cross band repeat, which means:
    - you turn it on and set cross band repeat
    - go on a hike with your trusty 70cm hand held
    - when you transmit on 70cm (as long as you're in range) the radio in the truck picks up the signal and "repeats" it simultaneously on 2m (2 separate antennae needed), so you have all the power and range of your mounted mobile unit & its antenna with the convenience of a handheld
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast