Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cheap dual band mobile coming to market. game changer?

Re: cheap dual band mobile coming to market. game changer?

Corax, thankx for clearing that up for me
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz

i prefer CB because it is idiot proof, but will be using both soon (as soon as i get my ham reinstalled and learn how to use it)
    It isn't all that hard to pick up once you start messing with it. I've got a little binder in the 4runner with all the repeater frequencies and PL codes for CA, OR and NV. I've got them sorted by county along with a county map. If I'm traveling I usually set it to scan but if I wanted to I can key in everything I need. If I pick up on something I want to transmit to or need to transmit to I can look it up real quick, enter my PL code and + or - and I'm good to go. Beats putting a ton of settings into memory.

yeah i just need to sit down and read. seems like i always have more important things to do though. soon though, maybe this winter.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

yeah the learning curve is steep. i went from overwhelmed to capable in 2 hours or so

this radio is delayed with no known release date hopefully it will be out this year and you guys will jump on it so i can stop using crummy old CB

bummer, when I saw this thread was bumped, I was hoping it was from someone saying they bought one and it was awesome.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    bummer, when I saw this thread was bumped, I was hoping it was from someone saying they bought one and it was awesome.
    Same here, I threw them my contact info to let me know when they get in. I'm definitely wanting one, if not 2 (one for the house).
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

haha sorry! i check often and the wouxon.us web site updates about every other week. unfortunatly zero info has come out. some specs have been seen on the pictures of the box that make it sound pretty nice. very wide TX/RX range and lots of RX only freebies. If anything this delay means they are polishing the radio so hopefully its epic when its finaly done.

i think im in for one for the house at this point. heck it might replace my kenwood in the truck if its nice enough

updating the thread. there is still no news on the wouxon. Its not looking like it will actually go into production now. But....a new contender has arrived
    http://www.verotelecom.com/brochure/VR-6600.pdf

the picture make it look like a small package stripped down dual band with some respectable output power. Who knows if this too will become vaporware, but at least there is some hope of something cheap enough to gain a few more converts to HAM.

I still don't know about these. I do know that the $80 chinese HT's are garbage. I understand the hard to program issue but apparently they have a very short life because they aren't built very well and basically cook themselves.

Up in this part of the state 70cm is pretty dead. For one we have several military bases so the band is very limited and there are only a few active repeaters. The Rubicon however has a really cool system that operates on 2m and 70cm (on cross band repeat I believe). If you don't have a dual band I'm pretty sure you need to run on simplex otherwise you're balbbing on a repeater that serves a huge area well beyond the trail.

I couldn't be happier with my FT 2800. It's strictly 2m and that's more than enough. It's basically a mil spec heat sink with a screen. No fan and bullet proof. It and the 2900 can be bought for $100-$150 which is a worth while investment especially considering it will retain it's value, can be serviced and has a positive following.

On another side note regarding these chinese radios. They don't have FCC ID numbers on them. It's not talked about much but these are illegal in the states and you run a chance of them never leaving customs. The radios are not very clean/stable so they aren't great at TX.

I guess there is a current movement with professional/commercial radios with agencies moving to digital and other types of radios. This is flooding the market with very high quality narrow band radios which is perfect for most uses. One popular model that is usually $80-$100 online is the motorola spectra. I hear they are very programmable and have neat features that other radios don't have. I don't need one so I haven't researched it much but it's a good way to get into the hobby.

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-...a_Series_US-EN

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast