Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: cheap dual band mobile coming to market. game changer?

Re: cheap dual band mobile coming to market. game changer?

wow thats alot of good info. Very disapointing on the wouxon. I wonder if its just too small a market for the Chinease to make them cheap enough? I really had hoped the KG-UV2D guts could be matted to larger amps and have a price under $200. I just want ham to be a realistic alternative to the $40 CB radios out there so I can hear what people are saying

Navigator

Once I get my rig running the way I want it I'm planning to add a ham, but I have a lot of other stuff to spend the money on right now
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

No info known on this one but its the first cheapish mobile dual band to be available
    http://www.446shop.com/views.asp?hw_id=172

Navigator

that looks like a really attractive feature set for that price.. Definitely keep an eye on that one to see how it fares
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Bumping this post for another offering, the Baojie BJ9900.
    http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=116535

It appears to be a Yaseu 8800 clone, even the main body case looks the same as my 8800. The face and buttons are different, as is the mic. It's a dual band, with N style antenna connector, remote face bracket, removable face plate with different back light colors, backlit buttons (my 8800 doesn't have those) and it does cross band repeat.

Initial reports are that it's a major PITA to program. Getting the software and cable are a must and even then there are some hurdles. My 8800 has a ton of features and it's not bad to program which is nice because you actually get to use the features you paid for.

409shop has the 9900 for $250 shipped. HRO has the 8800 for $339 shipped with a remote mounting kit after the Yaseu $100 rebate. For me the Yaseu was worth the extra money because it's tried and true, serviceable, comes with a warranty and I'm familiar with the brand.

I saw another 8800 clone and it was about the same price. I agree its not enough savings to get overly excited about. At least there is some competition finally.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I have no problem spending $36 on a "higher end" Baofeng UV5R+ vs. a similar Yaesu for 100 or more. But my mobile station, I would only ever plop down 300 or 500 or whatever on a Yaesu or Kenwood or the like. I don't see the value in going cheap on the one that I use much more often and expect it to hit another station a few dozen miles away.

If they were really cheap, under 100, I might consider putting one in my other vehicle. But again, it would have to be REALLY cheap!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'd like to see a striped down dual band with at least 45 watts on both bands for <$125 shipped. skip the DTMF tones, skip the cross band repeat, heck you could skip the dual monitor and just keep it a pure single radio, so long as the price reflects it.

I really thought the Chinese were going to make a full feature radio at half price or lower, but they keep trying these supposedly great radios at not enough discount to make the switch. I dont know crap, but the baofengs at $35 have more features then %99 of us need. I cant see why bigger amps and some more plastic make that a ~$250 radio. I dont know, maybe if I didnt already have one I would try these at 250.

Especially when you can get a used yaesu or Kenwood for the same price.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234